No announcement yet.

Files Return without authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is actually dependent on the options you set up in your program. ProSeries has a option that won't let you file if you haven't gone through the review for errors and haven't saved the file just before efiling.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
      If I don't enter my PIN it won't be ready for e-file. I don't enter my PIN until I'm getting ready to meet with the client to sign the 8879.

Problem solved
      If you enter your pin while getting ready to meet the client to sign the 8879 and at that meeting they decide to pull the return from being e-filed - the problem isn't solved.

Accidents and errors happen. They wouldn't be called ACCIDENTS if they were intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by BillV View Post
        I had a return just about completed when the client decided to withdraw his information. The return was listed with other returns ready to be e-filed and when I pressed the button to file these returns the unauthorized return was filed also and the IRS accepted. What should now be done?
        Just a suggestion, but I don't batch file returns for exactly this reason, to great of a chance for an error.

I manually send each return when I have the clients folder and signed 8879 right in front of me.

Comment

Call IRS Pratitioners Hotline and explain the problem.

Comment

In Drake you can set up to where you have to go into the EF page and check the box ready for EF before it will send it. It doesn't matter if you have the 8879 and everything else done, you cannot efile until you check the ready box.

LT
            Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

This is a tough one even if it is a longstanding client on good terms. I'd plead mea culpa immediately and work with the client.

In the future, I would never batch efile returns. Never. I don't batch file a child/student tax return when doing the parent's returns. Every return stands on its own and I authorize the export to efile and then go to efile and its the only one ever in the queue.

I'm sure I'd have made the same mistake if I had multiple returns ready to efile.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                Every return stands on its own and I authorize the export to efile and then go to efile and its the only one ever in the queue.
                I do the same thing. Even if I have a number of returns ready for e-file, I transmit each return separately. I also double check the refund/balance due/AGI listed on the 8879 with the return prior to hitting the send button, just to make sure the program did not change any calculations in the time from when I completed the return to when I am ready to e-file the return.

Comment

It's the fear curse. Every time I go to efile a return I feel almost paralyzed and unable to finally hit the send button. It's like the brand-new, sixteen-year-old driver who stops at a stop sign and looks left, then right, then left again and right again before timidly depressing the gas pedal.

I'm looking at the 8879 checking, it seems like a dozen times, whether the client has signed and dated it and the numbers exactly match with the return as last calculated.

One more thing to encourage those demons who endlessly swirl in my mind during the black of night and keep me from restfully sleeping. I need to buy a cart and start selling hotdogs.

Comment

It happens

or is it S#%$ happens! If I didnt "batch" returns to efile thats all I would get done all day!
                    Obvious answer has been given above - call client explain situation and offer to "make it right"
                    Hopefully the client will not be a jerk but you never know.......

Comment

driver who stops at a stop sign and looks left, then right, then left again and right again before timidly depressing the gas pedal
                      You must've seen me driving around
                      EAnOK

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
                        or is it S#%$ happens! If I didnt "batch" returns to efile thats all I would get done all day!
                        Obvious answer has been given above - call client explain situation and offer to "make it right"
                        I'm not sure what software you use, but it literally takes me less than 30 seconds to grab the client file and e-file it with the signed 8879 in front of me.

Comment

Not a problem

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
                          I'm not sure what software you use, but it literally takes me less than 30 seconds to grab the client file and e-file it with the signed 8879 in front of me.
                          Agree on that!

It probably takes me much longer to do an "error/alert check" (before I finalize/print the return to send to client w/8879) than to do the few mouse clicks necessary for efiling once the signed 8879 has been returned to me.

FE

Comment

I agree with this.

Originally posted by luke
                            It happens or is it S#%$ happens! If I didnt "batch" returns to efile thats all I would get done all day!
                            Before you succumb to "the sky is falling" scenarios maybe just call the guy and say "Look, I made a mistake and accidentally sent your return to IRS. I know you wanted to hold up or change it, but it's already been filed. If you want to let it stand like it is, then the fee will only be half-price. If you want it changed, I'll do a corrected return for nothing. Which do you want to do?" If he's not a jerk, okay; if he is, at least you'll know.

Don't let on you're worried that much about it (it encourages jerks); besides if he wanted to change the return maybe it's because of something not quite on the up-and-up. He may not now want to bring anything to IRS's attention any more than you do, in which case he might just come in, sign the 88, and let things stand as they are.

P.S. But...I don't batch file either -- it's too dangerous (I think).
                            Last edited by Black Bart; 03-30-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X