E-file Returns after 10/15/2012 for 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file Returns after 10/15/2012 for 2011

Has anyone been succesful in efiling form 1040 returns for years prior to 2011??

If I look at my software drain times for 2011 - appears I can continue to efile 2011 returns to the end of December 2012 for 2011 - however needs to be MeF returns. Not all of my returns will transmit MeF for whatever reason As I review some of my transmissions, some returns are still be processed under "Legacy" which is to be discontinued.

And with the 10/15/2012 deadline fast approaching, for the first time ever, seems like I am going to have a few taxpayers that are just NOT going to get their act together, and I sure don't have the time to try very hard as I am processing FIFO.

Does anyone have more info on efile after 10/15/2012?

Thanks

Sandy

I believe the deadline this year is 10/17
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Prior year returns

I have had no problem filing 2010 returns by e-file.They were all able to be filed by M-EFILE and most were very simple returns.

Comment

It may depend on your software.

Not all software supported this for 2010, and the returns do have to be e-fileable with MeF. But MeF is expanding, and the remaining software providers should be coming into line, so things should get better next year.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Thanks everyone! Just was wanting some feedback, and will check with my sotware, in reviewing dates looks like I can efile 2011 late MeF (after 10/15/2012), just not sure about 2010 (of which I don't have any 2010 right now)

If returns are not converted to MeF - Legacy might be an issue - as some of mine still show Legacy, for whatever reason.

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            I believe the deadline this year is 10/17
            Correction you have thru 10/16 to elf. The 15th is a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
              Correction you have thru 10/16 to elf. The 15th is a weekend.
              What month are you looking at? My October 2012 calendar shows the 15th is a Monday.
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                What month are you looking at? My October 2012 calendar shows the 15th is a Monday.
                Got it from another post...I'll have to go back and check it.

Comment

Is the 15th a holiday?

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                  Columbus day? Is that a federal government holiday that they extended it a day? I don't have anyone to file so I am not up on the dates but that is my first thought.

Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
                    Columbus day? Is that a federal government holiday that they extended it a day? I don't have anyone to file so I am not up on the dates but that is my first thought.

Dusty
                    Columbus Day was this past Monday, Oct 8.
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

It could be the state return causing the federal to go legacy. One thing to look into anyway, if that were the issue you could send it without the state.

I believe the MEF for 1040 shuts down November 23rd and comes back up January 22. Business MEF shuts down December 26 and comes back January 7. So technically not through the end of December.

Comment

Message I received from Tax Slayer says MeF returns can be E-filed until Nov 23 and then will shut down until Jan 22. IF return does not qualify for MeF filing to be timely filed it must be sent by 10:00 AM on Oct 15 as there will only be one drain that day. Last day to transmit a return that has to be filed under Legacy is Oct 19. Business returns can be E-filed until Dec 26 at which time that system will shut down until Jan 7 and beginning Jan 7, 2012 you will be able to E-file business returns for 2010, 2011, and 2012

Comment

Working...
                        X