2009 Homebuyer credit IRS mess up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Homebuyer credit IRS mess up

It figures … the first one I did the IRS messed up.

Client bought house March 1, 2009 so we did the 2008 return claiming the 2009 homebuyer credit. I did exactly as it said to do… Put check mark in the box and put the date of purchase March 1, 2009.

He had to mail the return in on March 3 because the IRS Efile was not yet set to do those returns.

He paid $ 76500 for the house so his buyer credit was $ 7650 (not the 8000). This evidently threw the IRS a curve. They didn’t pay attention to the checkmark in the box nor the date of the purchase as he got his refund a couple days ago but he got $ 7500. We are waiting for their letter of “we changed your return because” then I will have to write a letter back to them. (Like I have time to do this.) I knew this would be a nightmare.

He is also worried now that they will have in their records that he is to pay $ 500 each year. So even when he gets the additional $ 150 that is due him …. He will worry if they correct their records properly and not expect him to pay the $ 500 a year back.
    "And So It Begins!!!"
Working...
X