X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucky
    replied
    [QUOTE=Possi;77972]
    "If they inherited all this money, they can cash some in for taxes. It just puts me in an uncomfortable situation. They swished in with no "heads up" that they were going to get slammed this year. "

I got over being uncomfortable telling clients they owe money a long time ago. They would of received notice from the issuer about thier options, withholding etc. I make myself available 12 months a year so if my clients need help it's very accessable.
    Bottom line is it's taxable no penalty and hopefully they didn't lose half of it in the market .

Leave a comment:

• ChEAr$
    replied
    In addition

since "taxable amount not determined", there is the "POSSI"bility that there could have
    been non deductible contributions into said IRA by decedent.

Leave a comment:

• Possi
    replied
    no w-holding

I questioned it because there was no withholding. It sure seems to me that if I was getting over 62000 that I knew was taxable, I would darn sure have withholding against it.

Who is to blame for that? My client? Were they given the option to withhold and didn't? Or did the institution issuing the 1099, for some reason, think it would not be taxable?

I will probably never know the answer. But it makes me look like the bad guy when I lower the boom on them.

If they inherited all this money, they can cash some in for taxes. It just puts me in an uncomfortable situation. They swished in with no "heads up" that they were going to get slammed this year.

Ok, I have vented.

thanks, i feel better......

Leave a comment:

• Kram BergGold
    replied
    Code 4

To defer taxation of a death distribution you have to ahve a trustee to trustee transfer and it has to be set up in a special way. Then the beni starts taking yearly distributions based on a life expectency table. Your client got the cash so it ia all taxable in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• Possi
    replied
    What if it was....

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
    It is taxable but no penalty if the deceased was over 59 1/2. NYS allows the first 20,000 to be excluded but don't know if other states do the same.

Better check where it went and if it was a 60 day rollover into the mutual fund under a shell of an IRA.
    If it was a 60 day rollover into the mutual fund under a shell of an IRA, would it be taxable?

Leave a comment:

• BOB W
    replied
    It is taxable but no penalty if the deceased was over 59 1/2. NYS allows the first 20,000 to be excluded but don't know if other states do the same.

Better check where it went and if it was a 60 day rollover into the mutual fund under a shell of an IRA.
    Last edited by BOB W; 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Possi
    started a topic 1099R Code 4 taxable?

1099R Code 4 taxable?

My client has a $62,000 distribution she received when a relative died.
    Boxes 1 and 2 have the total in there. 2b both boxes are marked, taxable amt not determined and total distribution.
    Box 7 is code 4; death and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is marked.

My client put the money in mutual funds.

There is no withholding.

I am looking in TTB for a way that this might not be taxable, but to be treated as a rollover, but I can't find justification for it..

Is this indeed taxable? If so, they are in big trouble because there is no withholding.
Working...
X