No announcement yet.

e-Services ... the new Secure Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess all us with prepaid phones will be checking in on this post in 5 to 10 days

I use a prepaid phone/Tracfone because I just use it for emergency. My family (and doctor) has the phone number and knows to call only if it is important or they can't get me any other way.
    Tracfone's have come a long way and for me it is just cheaper than paying a monthly bill.

Comment

I have Tracfone also.
      I attempted on 12/14 to get through the system and was informed that I would be informed by mail 10-15 business days to get my code.
      I'm still waiting.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
        As the link you posted indicates, this was not a choice by the IRS. It was mandated by federal law.

Following the link you posted, you would also have found this:

"Returning users with existing credentials but new to Secure Access must:

So there is the answer to your question about how to get started.

And none of this is sudden, it has been possible for the better part of two years now to get authenticated through the Get Transcript link at the IRS web site.

Thank goodness that your software vendor is helping to authenticate you, to help prevent the criminal tax preparers from using the software for their own purposes.
        Not sure what your situation is but as you can see, there are others in the same boat as me. I went through the authentication process less January and now being put through it again.

So much for your "none of this is sudden" and "better part of two years" theory.

Comment

I've gotten all the 6-month email reminder and dutifully updated the password each time as my independent log confirms. This time, when I got the "Update your password" email, I couldn't log in which created this thread.

The IRS person I spoke to in e-Services told me they are/were late in getting letters to people in December to let them know about this. I still have never gotten one apprising me that I had to go to all this trouble....AGAIN....just like last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
            So much for your "none of this is sudden" and "better part of two years" theory.
            It's not theory, it's fact. I authenticated myself in May 2016 ("better part of two years") using Get Transcript, as advised by the IRS at that time, and have not had to repeat the process, and my most recent login to eservices since the latest update was processed without problem, other than having to reset the password I used when I authenticated under Get Transcript (which was painless to do).

Regarding all the discussion of pay as you go cell phones, that is not the issue. The issue is whether or not the phone can be matched with you via some kind of credit report, same as mortgage loan, etc. I have a pay as you go feature phone, but have had it for a long time and the number is indeed reported on one of my credit reports, so it worked fine for me.

Regarding other comments about smartphones in general, the only thing I can't do on my feature phone is run an app. I can text, take photos and videos, play MP3s, use GPS mapping, bluetooth, and even make phone calls. For that, I have probably saved 90% or more cost over the last decade compared to what I would have paid for a smartphone.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Consider yourself lucky because some of us are having to weather the authentication process a second time. I did it the first last January and now a second time.

Comment

Well update. I got my letter yesterday with the code and got through finishing the authorization. It wants to send a text message with another security code to be entered. After that it is setup.

Comment

Congratulations GGD. My activation code letter just arrived today and I went through the steps and, thankfully, am now squared away.

This process has been ridiculous. I've been a CPA for 40 years and no process involved with submitting my original application with my state for licensure nor keeping it current compares with this.

It's just good to get this finished, behind me, and concentrating on this year's tax season.

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                    This process has been ridiculous. I've been a CPA for 40 years and no process involved with submitting my original application with my state for licensure nor keeping it current compares with this.
                    How does applying for a CPA license compare to accessing confidential taxpayer info via a secure web site? Did they even have web sites 40 years ago?
                    "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

No web sites and we used thirteen-column paper and lead pencils. Pentel .5mm lead mechanical pencils if you were lucky.

Comment

Shari

Hello fellow eservice users
                        I feel your pain, I too have used eservices for years and really love it. In validating myself in December it would not accept my credit card or mortgage number and therefore locked me out. Called the help desk and gave them all my info but was told I still needed to go to the local office in person. Did that then called the help line back and they gave me a temporary pw to be used once I got my authentication code coming in the mail. After much waiting I did get the authentication code in the mail, went online and learned (with no help from the help desk) to enter the temporary pw in all 3 spots then it finally asked me for the authentication code and I was finally in. My only problem is I can't figure out how to change my pw so I am sticking with the temporary one until the site tells me it is time to change it. Good luck to all

Comment

One of my cohorts came up with a simple solution to all this. Enter EIN# followed by PW, enter efin# followed by PW, enter PTIN # followed by PW. enter 4# from CC followed by PW. After that Have IRS to give us 2 PIN #'s.That's 10 Things someone would have to know to get in. Then use your Pins, logon name and PW to access site. (Her Suggestion)

Comment

What do practitioners like me do who just received the e-services password by mail just prior to the Federal government shutdown (because of having a prepaid minutes cellphone)?
                            Do I attempt to take the plunge in attempting to login during the government shutdown?
                            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Yes, I would go ahead and activate your account. I got my mailing with the activation code (secret decoder ring included at no extra charge) on a Saturday and was a tad hesitant that I might mess something up. I forged ahead and found it was straightforward.

You should have no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X