Washington State Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington State Tax

Most of us realize the extreme West Coast is politically and culturally liberal. In spite of this, Washington has never had an income tax. This, in part, causes all other taxes to be extremely high, with some of the most imaginative taxes to be found anywhere.

Well, the state politicians just can't stand it any longer. Saw on the news where the govt is proposing a 2.5% income tax on citizens who "make too much money." I remember having to pay the Clinton tax increase "on the rich." I never realized how "rich" I was, nor most of my neighbors. When you soak the rich, seems like everyone gets wet.

Anyone know or care to comment about this proposed Washington State Tax?

Washington tax

It is a Seattle city tax that was passed not a state tax. A law suit is probable.

Comment

Not a state tax. . .yet?

Originally posted by MDEA View Post
      It is a Seattle city tax that was passed not a state tax. A law suit is probable.
      Yup, just Seattle.

Home of Starbucks ("financing available for that order") and $15/hour minimum wage.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
        Well, the state politicians just can't stand it any longer. Saw on the news where the govt is proposing a 2.5% income tax on citizens who "make too much money."
        Anyone know or care to comment about this proposed Washington State Tax?
        My comment: I thought this was a site for tax professionals, not for fake news about Washington state politicians. Are the tax return positions you recommend to your clients as poorly researched as this post was?
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Foul Mouth

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          Are the tax return positions you recommend to your clients as poorly researched as this post was?
          I would hope listening to some soundbyte on TV is not the equivalent of researching positions for clientele.

I am also tired of your hostile remarks (not only of me but also of other people) which, accuracy notwithstanding, reflect a hypercritical attitude of those with whom you interface. I know of at least a half dozen people who don't visit this forum anymore in part because of having to listen to your snide criticisms.

I won't be among those who no longer visit - I won't be going anywhere. Just know I would prefer not to listen to your mouth. We all have to option to block each other - I won't be doing that either, but FWIW I won't be responding to you again.
          Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-12-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see an overhaul of the tax system in Washington state. The lack of an income tax has created an interesting and very regressive tax structure here.

I see having an income tax as a separate question of whether to raise taxes. Most of the folks I know who are anti-income tax here are more concerned about the tax increase rather than the tax structure.

Comment

I whole heartily second this sentiment. It is remarkable how rude some people are hidden behind their keyboards.

I would hope listening to some soundbyte on TV is not the equivalent of researching positions for clientele.

I am also tired of your hostile remarks (not only of me but also of other people) which, accuracy notwithstanding, reflect a hypercritical attitude of those with whom you interface. I know of at least a half dozen people who don't visit this forum anymore in part because of having to listen to your snide criticisms.

I won't be among those who no longer visit - I won't be going anywhere. Just know I would prefer not to listen to your mouth. We all have to option to block each other - I won't be doing that either, but FWIW I won't be responding to you again.
              You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Snag, do you have clients in Seattle? Or, even in WA state?

Comment

accuracy notwithstanding
                  Thank you, I do strive for accuracy.

I don't normally spend time focusing on personalities, as many of us are here to discuss the "what", not who said it. But my curiosity was whetted, so here is a sampling of the take on Snaggletooth from others. It only took a minute or two to find these snippets, I'm sure searching the posting history would reveal many more, but it's not worth my time.

Here's one from just four months ago, which could also have been posted in response to this thread:

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                  Jeez, Snag, enough already with your political rants and commentary.

Wasn't it you who, just a few days ago, posted a message on this forum about a politically oriented post that was removed by the TMI folks? And yet here you are posting one of your own.
                  Or, just a few days after that, here is Snaggletooth welcoming a brand new participant to the forum, by being "hypercritical". Poor Russell never came back again since then, do you suppose his reception from Snaggletooth had anything to do with it?

Russell, not to be hypercritical, but I recommend you get some more training or maybe attend an HRB school before becoming immersed further in preparing taxes.
                  Lastly, for the sake of those who use the forum without bothering to read the rules, here is the guideline you should use if you see a problem post.

"What if I see something offensive?

You will find 'Report' links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything which you find to be offensive, objectionable or illegal."

With this post, I am already guilty of straying from helpful tax discussions, so I won't be commenting on this particular aspect of the thread any further.
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

I've had some

Kathy, I had two single, high-income taxpayers who moved to TN from Tacoma in 2016, one of whom will be returning temporarily in 2017. Don't know whether she will be there long enough to have Washington State wages on her W-2 but it won't matter if there is no taxation thereof. TN doesn't have a tax on salaries either, so no state returns for either year.

A question such as yours perhaps had the wonderment of what my interest would be in Washington State being so far away. Others may feel that I used the question as a front to post some ugly political statements.

Tennessee has no general income tax but being long and narrow, if you live here, you are never far away from another state, so I have somewhat of an additional interest in state taxation. Tennessee is contiguous to 8 states, ALL of which have income taxes. I have a subchapter S military contractor who operates annually in at least 10-12 states, and I can't talk them into making composite payments. So I have to prepare the S corp, plus personal returns for four shareholders in all of these states where the company operates.

For what it's worth, I've been to Washington one time. And stopped in a post office there to send my wife a postcard stamped "Walla Walla, Wa"

Comment

Kathy, I had two single, high-income taxpayers who moved to TN from Tacoma in 2016, one of whom will be returning temporarily in 2017. Don't know whether she will be there long enough to have Washington State wages on her W-2 but it won't matter if there is no taxation thereof. TN doesn't have a tax on salaries either, so no state returns for either year.

A question such as yours perhaps had the wonderment of what my interest would be in Washington State being so far away. Others may feel that I used the question as a front to post some ugly political statements.

Tennessee has no general income tax but being long and narrow, if you live here, you are never far away from another state, so I have somewhat of an additional interest in state taxation. Tennessee is contiguous to 8 states, ALL of which have income taxes. I have a subchapter S military contractor who operates annually in at least 10-12 states, and I can't talk them into making composite payments. So I have to prepare the S corp, plus personal returns for four shareholders in all of these states where the company operates.

For what it's worth, I've been to Washington one time. And stopped in a post office there to send my wife a postcard stamped "Walla Walla, Wa"
                      Well, when you start with "West Coast is politically and culturally liberal", it's political. I enjoy a good political debate, especially on tax policy and finances, but don't think this forum is the appropriate place to have such.

Comment

Working...
                      X