North Carolina question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Carolina question

My client's father who lived in North Carolina died. My client inherited his father's property which included a mobile home park. He is going to sell the park.
    How will he be affected by North Carolina's estate tax laws? Will everything be handled through the estate?
    I am assuming that whoever is handling the estate in North Carolina will know how and do the estate return. I think he will liquidate all the estate this year if possible.

Thanks

Linda F

Back to the top

Where are the North Carolina people? Any answer will be a help. Or tell me where to look.

Thanks

Comment

I'm in NC, but I don't do any estate work so I can't give you an answer.
      However, I'll post a link to the NCDR web site and also give your question another bump to the top.

The NCDOR is committed to helping taxpayers comply with tax laws in order to fund public services benefiting the people of North Carolina.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

More Information

What makes you think there is someone in NC handling the Estate? Is there another heir living here? I would think that you would want to be in touch with this person if they exist.

I can tell you that NC generally follows the Federal in terms of when an Estate Return is required and what is the value of the taxable estate.

Comment

In NC, estate tax is SAF. (This info was easy to obtain - I googled it.) Therefore, it depends on whether all assets exceed $2M as to whether a return has to be filed. The will must be probated there, and from your post it appears that maybe someone is doing that? A lawyer, perhaps? As to whether everything will be handled "through the estate" depends on how everything was owned, if there was a spouse, and what the will says. If your client or the family does not have someone in NC to do this, he (they) better get someone.

Comment

Working...
          X