Reject code 0526

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reject code 0526

"Form 2441 - The SSN/ATIN/ITIN has been used on another return." The two SSNs on Form 2441 are the same SSNs as her dependents listed on the Form 1040 and the same as we filed the year before on both 1040 and 2441. Why are those numbers OK on the 1040 but not on the 2441? Will the IRS tell me which one of the two is the culprit? (She has three children; I could swap out the child causing the error message if I knew which one it is.) I'm supposed to leave for a family reunion out of state!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
    "Form 2441 - The SSN/ATIN/ITIN has been used on another return." The two SSNs on Form 2441 are the same SSNs as her dependents listed on the Form 1040 and the same as we filed the year before on both 1040 and 2441. Why are those numbers OK on the 1040 but not on the 2441? Will the IRS tell me which one of the two is the culprit? (She has three children; I could swap out the child causing the error message if I knew which one it is.) I'm supposed to leave for a family reunion out of state!
    Hi Rita, don't know why SSN's are OK on 1040, but not 2441.

IRS may not tell you which of the two SSN's is the problem, but check the form field reference on your reject message. You may be able to tell which one of the two it is by comparing here- Form Field references for the 2441:

Cheers! Barb

Comment

Maybe the mystery is solved...

Thanks, Barb, for the clue about form fields. I'd read about the code on the IRS site, but hadn't tracked down any clue to which of the two children might be the problem. Turns out client discovered ex-husband filed a 2441 with his return claiming one of the children and part of the nanny expenses. Didn't know you could claim a child for 2441 without being the custodial parent. Anyway, there are three children, one of which turned 13 during 2007. So, I swapped in the part-year kid for the one dad took (reworked amounts attributed to each kid for nanny) and retransmitted. Hope that does the trick. Next year, only two will meet the age requirements, so client is looking into her decree. Knows she gets to claim them as dependents. Ex did not claim any of the children as dependents, just on 2441. This is a client that just will not end. She's been very needy. Then, when I think I have her transmitted and have run her credit card...well, the IRS throws me a curve -- the ex, actually. Oh, well, I'm a little behind schedule but will still leave tomorrow for a family reunion on the Cape. And, take my laptop with me, so I can check for the IRS acceptance, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
      X