NATP vs NAEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NATP vs NAEA

Looking for honest opinions on the pros and cons of joining one of these organizations or both. I will be an EA soon and I'm located in NY.

Both have some good features. To me, I prefer NAEA because they are the only group that goes to bat for EA rights, etc. NATP will do nothing for the EAs specifically, since they probably represent more non EAs. Strictly my opinion.

In some areas, there are good local chapters also.

You can look at their websites to see what each has to offer.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Prior Posts

Here is a link to a prior posts regarding NAEA and NATP

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Joining NAEA which is the National Association will also require that you join your State/local Chapter, so you might want to contact your State/local EA Chapter as well to see what they offer in the way of monthly meetings and bulletins, etc.

Sandy

Comment

I like both organizations

The most important thing both organizations do is lobby the government. I happen to agree with NATP that it would be desirable if everyone who takes money for doing taxes had to meet some sort of standards, whether by having post high school education or passing a standardized exam or both. I realize that this is not true in every State but in NC literally anyone can call him or herself a tax professional. I am also an EA and as such I have interests that somewhat differ from those of CPAs Tax Attorneys and unenrolled preparers.

I have been impressed by the tax information NATP provides but I have not been a member of NAEA long enough to receive any from them.

I have not been to any sort of convention or meeting of either organization. In fact since I went out on my own I have not met face to face with another tax professional but I am going to a one day seminar in August that is not sponsored by either of these organizations.

I have found that NAEA offers better discounts on third party products.

Comment

products

Which third party products are you referring too?

Comment

I belong to both.

Comment

I belong to both also

NAEA has a good webboard, good assistance from other EA's.

NATP has better and faster tax information.
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Naea

I'm in the CtSEA chapter of the NAEA, right next door to you in NY. So, we do utilize the same speakers from time to time for CEUs. I'm very impressed with the quality of our chapter meetings/speakers/informative CEUs as well as with the quality of our local membership. I've learned from their trade magazine, also. I think the local chapter will be of more value than national lobbying, so visit a couple of different organizations to find one with members smarter than you are to learn from and as smart as you are to share with. Off to Cromwell, CT, tonight; so if you want to check us out, 6-9 p.m. at the Cromwell Marriott for 2 CEUs and dinner...

Comment

Naea

Originally posted by S T View Post
                  Here is a link to a prior posts regarding NAEA and NATP

Joining NAEA which is the National Association will also require that you join your State/local Chapter, so you might want to contact your State/local EA Chapter as well to see what they offer in the way of monthly meetings and bulletins, etc.

Sandy
                  However, it is not necessary to join the state society/association of the state you live/work
                  in. You may join that of any contiguous state association. This is a good feature for
                  those where the state society is not really performing well.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

For instance

Originally posted by drdino View Post
                    Which third party products are you referring too?
                    they give you 30% off all CCH products.

Comment

I belong to both organizations, and have done so for several years now. Both NAEA and NATP have much to offer. CSEA (a state affiliate of NAEA) puts on a Super Seminar every year, both in Las Vegas and Reno. You just can't beat it.

NATP offers the best workshops and seminars around. When you leave one, you don't go home wondering what it was you just learned.

Try both and if you are not satisfied, then don't renew your membership.
                      Dave, EA

Comment

Thank you to all

Thanks for all your responses. I haven't had time to get over to the AICPA site yet but will make my decision to join one soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X