Startup costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup costs

I have a client who incurred startup costs of $2,200 before October 22, 2004. She then had additional startup costs of $3,500 after 10/22/04 before opening by years-end.

Am I correct in assuming I can expense the $3,500 plus $37 (one month of amortization)?

Thank you, Dennis

Startup

When did the business actually open for business?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Startup

Bob,

She officially opened around Dec. 1 or 2.

Thanks, Dennis

Comment

Startup

I would capitalize everything. The deduction may be worth more over the 60 months since it is a new business.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

The costs incurred pre 10/22 are eligible for 60-month amortization. The costs incurred post 10/22 must be amortized over 180 months if not deducted.

Comment

Amort

The start date of the business is 12/1/04. All costs are pre start date.

Comment

I don't believe that's correct.

The business start date, in this case 12/1, applies only to the point at which amortization begins. The business start date does not determine the recovery period.

Costs paid or incurred before 10/22 are recovered under the old rules, 60-month amortization. Costs paid or incurred after 10/22 are recovered under the new rules, up to $5,000 deduction or amortized over 180 months. In either case, amortization starts on the same start date, 12/1.

Comment

Thanks

Armando and Bob,

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Dennis

Comment

Amort

I wasn't aware of the 10/22 date.... thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X