Does the IRS ever read the papers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the IRS ever read the papers?

Sometimes I wonder. The Sarasota Film Society in an not-for-profit organization. In the past, they offered "avante guarde" (sp) or independent little known films at their first theater. Then, the group opened a movie theater in Lakewood Ranch a huge, very upscale community. The new theater shows exactly the same films that can be found in other movie theaters and a very occasional independent film. Recently, the property appraiser attended the theater and noticed that the pricing of the movie and snacks was no different than other theaters, but there was a small price break for Sarasota Film Society members. The theater is open to the general public, but it's smack dab in the middle of Lakewood Ranch which is miles and miles of roads (I don't know how many), but it certainly isn't the easiest location for people to see a movie unless they're residents of Lakewood Ranch.

After visiting the theater, the appraiser yanked their County property tax exemption which will cost about $75000 annually in property taxes.

Of course, the Sarasota Film Society screamed "foul"...a movie is art, regardless of the type of movie and it is an anchor in a themed-type street for the shopping district of Lakewood ranch, so the community is up in arms. Keep in mind...the lineup of movies is no different from all the other theaters in the area...all first run (except a smidgeon of independent films once in a blue moon).

I say "phooey", and agree with the tax assesor. They've deviated from their mission statement, and it certainly isn't fair to other profit-making theaters that are also struggling.

Now, I'm wondering...where the hell is the IRS? Why haven't they also jerked the exemption? Don't they read the newspapers?

They Don't Care

Of course, in the largesse the IRS really DOES care. But when you cast the responsibility of enforcement down to the units to do something about it, it becomes "Hey, whose turn is it to feed to cat" and everyone gets up and leaves the room.

The idea of an ever-vigilant civil service agency scouring the earth looking for more work to do is naive indeed. If this theatre comes up in their normal course of business, they will handle it.

Comment

IRS takes its time

For whatever the IRS is going to do about anything connected with taxes, they take their time. They take their time since, with certain specified exceptions, interest and penalties run up anyhow until the statute of limitations expires.

Comment

Working...
      X