Tax Lien Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Lien Imminent

Examiner appointment set for tomorrow asking for endless info. I don't have all info, not even close. Is there a way for me to postpone examination and gather info? Unfiled return situation, and incorrect 1099s. Also, what to do about incorrect 1099 reporting? Is there a way to undo them?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I've created a mess here, and need more time to put the proverbial ducks in order.

Thanks all.

Get professional help now! The professional will contact the examiner and get a continuance. You have waited too long already! You are in over your head.

Comment

Agreed...

Same thing happens to me when I try do my own plumbing: I get hosed.

Get a pro, look for a CPA or EA, they can represent you before the IRS. They will need a power of attorney signed and your full cooperation.

Comment

Suggestions?

I'm here in South Florida-anyone have a good professional I can talk with? Tick Tock.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by buvu1 View Post
          I'm here in South Florida-anyone have a good professional I can talk with? Tick Tock.

Thanks for your responses, guys.
          You can go the NAEA (National Association of Enrolled Agents) website: www.naea.org and click on "find an enrolled agent". You can do a search by state, zip code, etc.

Any enrolled agent (or certified public accountant) can represent you in your situation after you give them a power of attorney.

Comment

Try www.naea.org and search their database for members in your area.

Kay, EA

Comment

You guys are fantastic. Thanks for all your help and kindness. It's amazing that people out here/there choose to aid others. Does anyone know what a reasonable cost for this would be, including preparing like 10 returns (eek. there, I said it!)?

Comment

No idea

buvu, no idea as we won't know what's really involved.

One thing is for certain, if this is a time-lapse situation covering several years, the cost of a practitioner's attention will be much less than the tax assessment.

A couple of pointers on cost:
                1) You are fortunate (I think) this can be tended to in the off-season. (For us, the "off-season" begins shortly after April 15th. Also avoid other deadline dates like October 15th and the end of July and October, and December. Most of us charge more during crunch times than during other times.
                2) Listen to your tax pro, and make an action-item checklist of what you need to gather, even if it is less than perfect. Don't force the practitioner to charge you for 3-4 meetings because you haven't done your homework when 1-2 would have otherwise sufficed.
                3) Most likely, much of what you think is relevant to this audit will actually not be relevant at all. If you were my client, I would be charging you by the hour. This includes going through documents and records that are superfluous.
                4) Think in terms of SETTLING with the IRS instead of dragging it out. Your practitioner should have a good idea what to negotiate and not waste time on items where you have only a flimsy defense. Don't waste $200 worth of practitioner time to argue on a $50 settlement item just because you have strong feelings about a particular deduction.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll find a good EA or CPA to help.

Comment

Originally posted by buvu1 View Post
                  You guys are fantastic. Thanks for all your help and kindness. It's amazing that people out here/there choose to aid others. Does anyone know what a reasonable cost for this would be, including preparing like 10 returns (eek. there, I said it!)?
                  Assuming you use the NAEA "find an EA", contact more than one of them and discuss their fees. It is not fair to even suggest a possible fee, since nobody knows how much time would be involved.

For example, IRS policy is usually to only get the last 6 years from a non-filer. HOWEVER, I infer from your post (lien imminent) that the IRS may have filed substitute returns for you beyond the 6 years and has already assessed some tax. If that's the case, you need to file returns for those years in order to correct the IRS returns. This is more complicated, requires more time, etc. - thus you need to speak with the individual EAs.

Comment

Call him and tell him you are seeking representation because the matter is way over your head. Also, tell him that SFR'd returns are going to be prepared and filed to reduce your tax liability.

However, something doesn't add up here. An examiner would only be calling you in to audit an already filed return. You say you haven't filed in 10 years.

It is more likely a revenue officer (collections) wanting you to bring in information that will aid him in collecting what you owe.
                    If you are being threatened with a levy (you said lien, but it is more likely a levy) An officer does collections - an agent does audits - what can happen is that they can garnish wages, 1099 payments from clients and take money from your bank accounts.

There is sometimes a remedy for the first two, but if your bank account gets hit you won't be able to get that money back.

In any event get an EA or CPA that has a lot of experience in this specialized area, not just someone that does it once or twice a year. You can also go on line and look for companies that carry the Better Business Bureau seal.

Comment

All you folks are just phenomenal. I got in touch with a CPA who seems to be very much on the ball after meeting for over an hour. She has done this type of thing before many times before. Without you folks I would have waltzed in to a meeting tomorrow like a complete knucklehead, and gotten my blank handed to me.

Thank you all for your support!

Comment

Working...
                      X