e postcard for 990's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e postcard for 990's

Is anyone done this yet? Does every organization need to file this? What about a local Lions Club. Would they be included as a group organization. There is also a local American Legion group. Would be best to file even if not necessary?
    Also, I have one fire dept that received a USDA loan for $182,000 to purchase some fire trucks. Does this constitute gross income? Do they qualify for the epostcard, and if not, what form?

Gross Receipts under $25,000

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    Is anyone done this yet? Does every organization need to file this? What about a local Lions Club. Would they be included as a group organization. There is also a local American Legion group. Would be best to file even if not necessary?
    Also, I have one fire dept that received a USDA loan for $182,000 to purchase some fire trucks. Does this constitute gross income? Do they qualify for the epostcard, and if not, what form?

Normally a non-profit, defined as a 501(c)3 by the IRS, does not have to file tax return, the 990, unless gross receipts go over $25,000.

They do have to file the new e-filed 990.

Each Lions Club, Rotary, American Legion, and other such groups are not filed under their group. Each one has their own TIN and must file.

The fire department if it doesn't report under the local city will also have to file a tax return since the gross receipts go over $25,000.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Thanks, I guess I'll have to make sure these local organizations get filed. I was hoping a loan amount might not be considered gross receipts. Am I late filing that return now?

Comment

Loan not gross receipts

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
        Thanks, I guess I'll have to make sure these local organizations get filed. I was hoping a loan amount might not be considered gross receipts. Am I late filing that return now?
        Sorry, I read that wrong. Trifocals! I was reading it as a grant, as that is what our local volunteer FD receives.

A loan is not included in gross receipts.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Our local (not tax supported) fire assoc borrowed money from USDA and have again lended it to the tax district for the fire trucks. When they start paying it back to us, will that be considered gross receipts? They pay us and we pay USDA.

Comment

How about 1 PTO under a School District with many PTO's?

If they gross over the $25,000, are they subject to filing the form 990 or does the School District file the form on behalf of all PTO's within the district?

Comment

Pto

School District would be very unlikely to have a PTO as part of it. Does the PTO have it's own officers, board of directors, tax ID#, etc.? Maybe, all the PTOs within the district are really one organization. But, more likely, each PTO at each school is a separate association. Read the organization papers.

Comment

Pto

This PTO does have officers, board of directors, tax ID and Inc.

Comment

How about family cemetery?

Client has family cemetary where Granfather set aside land for cemetery. Family
                  members donate money to fund for upkeep of cemetery. Funds earned about $1000
                  in 2007. The cemetery has federal ID # as nonprofit organization but has never filed
                  any forms with IRS in the past. Should this e-file post card be done for 2007?

I would be grateful for fellow board member opinions.

Thanks, DixieEA

Comment

Working...
                  X