deadline filing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deadline filing question

Filed my client (who owes a large sum to the IRS and the state), 10 minutes before midnight so they would not have to pay late filing penalty but electronic filing data shows that she was filed on April 16th how do I fix that??
    help thanks

Filing On Time

Originally posted by POCAHONTAS View Post
    Filed my client (who owes a large sum to the IRS and the state), 10 minutes before midnight so they would not have to pay late filing penalty but electronic filing data shows that she was filed on April 16th how do I fix that??
    help thanks
    If you file direct to IRS check with them. If you are using indirect filing then your software provider.

Comment

Same Thing Happened to me

I filed two returns about 2 hours before midnight...My software acknowledgement showed 4/16/08 since they are in the East and I in the West...The next morning I noticed that the IRS acknowledgement was dated 4/15/08...But the State said 4/16/08...If there are any problems I will fight the state lateness as they went at the same time and I have my West Coast date stamp when they went...

Comment

my software shows it was sent at 1.52am that is 2 hours later than I had sent it, I called tech support and they said that there was nothing they could do? I am just wondering if I should call the IRS and explain to them what has happened or just wait and see what happens?
        any suggestions??

Comment

Originally posted by myerstaxes View Post
          I filed two returns about 2 hours before midnight...My software acknowledgement showed 4/16/08 since they are in the East and I in the West...The next morning I noticed that the IRS acknowledgement was dated 4/15/08...But the State said 4/16/08...If there are any problems I will fight the state lateness as they went at the same time and I have my West Coast date stamp when they went...
          you said that you have your west coast date stamp showing the 15th, is that part of your software?? Or is it something that you have. My software doesn't show anywhere that I sent it before midnight. Is there a way that I could prove that the return was sent before midnight.
          thanks

Comment

I use Drake

What I have is an acknowledgement from them everytime I send something through...Their ack date says 4/16/2008, my send date says 4/15/2008...

Comment

Direct file state?

If you filed through your software provider, my first question is - Are you in a direct file state or a "piggyback" state. If it is direct file, it would appear that the software company took that long to get the state transmitted, or the state was backlogged by that much.

If it is "piggyback", it is not forwarded to the state until after the IRS accepts it. Don't know, but this could account for a time difference, but the state should consider that. IMHO

Good luck

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

What I have is an acknowledgement from them everytime I send something through...Their ack date says 4/16/2008, my send date says 4/15/2008...
                when I e-file returns the send date is blank and then when I down load filing statuses then it shows the date filed and accepted otherwise it remains blank, the date is showing submitted 4/16 and not 4/15 there is no way I could prove that I e-filed before midnight I am pretty sure the e-file department of my software company screwed up. so now it seems it is my word against the software company. I just discovered that there are 3 clients who are showing approximately 1-1/2 to two hours later. the question is how do I fight this??

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                  If you filed through your software provider, my first question is - Are you in a direct file state or a "piggyback" state. If it is direct file, it would appear that the software company took that long to get the state transmitted, or the state was backlogged by that much.

If it is "piggyback", it is not forwarded to the state until after the IRS accepts it. Don't know, but this could account for a time difference, but the state should consider that. IMHO

Good luck

LT
                  my state is california and I do believe it is direct file because I don't have to transmit it with the federal. The federal acknowledgement is also showing that the the returns were filed on the 16th.

Comment

I ha e been told

that for paper returns the IRS does not start checking postmarks until about a week after a deadline. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Next point, how late does am efiled return have to be before there is a penalty??

Comment

Yep, CA is a direct file State so I figured that it took CA that long to ack...
                      By the way I use Drake, and each time I send a batch through they send back an ack immedicately upon transmission by me to them...So I was not alarmed that their date stamp said 4/16 since it was 1am there in NC...

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                        that for paper returns the IRS does not start checking postmarks until about a week after a deadline. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Next point, how late does am efiled return have to be before there is a penalty??
                        The post marks are checked as the returns are processed/mail is opened, the returns are assigned a DLN (document locator number) within that long number is a julian date that contains the date on the postmark..Back in the old days pre-efile (I go back to 1973 with the IRS) the envelope showing the postmark used to be with the return...Not sure what the process is now...I may have to check with some folks still at IRS to see what happens in this modern age, I spent the last 19 years in management and was not as aware of processing procedures as I was when auditing...

Comment

Benita, you are such a fountain of information! I don't file anything on the 15th anymore, unless there is an extension already in. Too much stress. I went batty on saturday and sunday sending extensions. Learned my lesson with an SSN reject on a new client and I had to rush in from Citrus Heights to meet her and give her a paper copy and direct her to the open late post office. Never again!

Comment

One more thing learned...

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                            I don't file anything on the 15th anymore, unless there is an extension already in. Too much stress. I went batty on saturday and sunday sending extensions. Learned my lesson with an SSN reject on a new client and I had to rush in from Citrus Heights to meet her and give her a paper copy and direct her to the open late post office. Never again!
                            Of all the things I have learned so far this year, THIS just might be one of the best!

~possi
                            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I hear you Joan

I forgot to extend one...My fault, I had her in my already extended drawer and marked...All I can think of is that before I sent it, I got interupted...Oh well I will not sweat it, I will pay the penalties if any, glad she was not one of my large bal due clients, she is small and is usually paid up...At least that is my earnest prayer...

Comment

Working...
                              X