Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support

Daughter lives with Mom four days per week and Dad three. Goes away to college. Dad pays child support for seven months and 65% ++ of college expenses in the fall; Mom pays $0. Daughter could be Mom's QC, because she resided with Mom more days prior to leaving for college, yes?

When figuring if Daughter paid more than 50% of her own support, does Daughter include college expenses paid by Dad? Child support paid by Dad to Mom adds to Mom's support of Daughter? Or Daughter's? Or neither? (Daughter also earned and spent on herself about $5,000 and borrowed another $3,000 in college loans and had some small scholarships and many, many gifts, such as $250 from her church.)

Qc

Yes, Mom is custodial. More time and daughter is only temporarily away from home when she goes to school.

Both parents contribute to her support, so as you say the issue is does the daughter support herself? Child support is support provided from the parents not the daughter. Scholarships are not considered. So, the daughter's support of herself would be her wages, loans in her name, and I think gifts also (all taxable and non taxable income and gifts are non taxable income). Providing that she actually spent this money on her support and didn't put it into a bank.
    JG

Comment

custody or support

Something I've had to remind myself about frequently:

Custody, I'm told, ends when the child is no longer a minor. Decisions, then, have to be made based on support and the other tests.

This is aside from child support, dependency, qualifying child issues. Those are all still part of the equation, but once out of their minority - children are wise to defer to those who still pay the bills, but they aren't required to do so!
      Last edited by abby; 01-26-2006, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Bees and Old Jack

The above have recently been quoted as saying income received by the maybe dependent does not automatically considered to be used for support.. I believe the thread was last week.

Comment

Working...
        X