1040-ES Vouchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1040-ES Vouchers

Just received today 3-31-08 IRS release 2008-13. Included in it is the answer on the 1040-ES vouchers that everyone is looking for.

"Here is a reminder for your clients filing Form 1040-ES. They will no longer get estimated tax vouchers and envelopes in the mail because they have used a paid preparer. Taxpayers who e-file, e-pay, or use tax software to prepare and file a paper return will no longer get the vouchers and envelopes. Anyone who still gets vouchers and envelopes in the mail will only get one mailing for the entire year instead of quaterly mailings. More information is on the Form 1040-ES instructions."

Talk about being late and letting us know!!!

1040 Es

Vouchers and stamped envelopes I alway provide for my clients. This is the kind of service that builds our business.

Comment

Originally posted by ecb34691 View Post

the answer on the 1040-ES vouchers that everyone is looking for
      Looking for both -- answer & vouchers . . . so thanks!

Comment

Vouchers

I always print out vouchers and paper clip to envelopes. Haven't stamped them; too many don't end up using them! I've usually thrown out the vouchers they bring in from the IRS. Want them to think everything is prepared by ME just for them!

Comment

Deserve What They Get

Will have to brace for this extra expense next year and pass it on to customers.

Produce the vouchers with my software, cut them out with scissors, and supply four envelopes to each client. Also, have to fill out a 1040-ES to get the vouchers to populate correctly. Runs into time and money. (Don't answer this post and tell me I oughta be preparing the 1040-ES anyway. In the real world, it's a joke)

My friend at BusiForms in Chattanooga tries to sell me window envelopes every year. Guess next year he's found a sucker.

Hope the IRS gets 800,000 estimated payments for 2008 sent to the wrong address. They deserve what they get for this brilliant idea.

Comment

Always

I have always provided the ES Vouchers for the next tax year to my clients along with envelopes, no postage.

This year due to the move and me doing everything in the office, I gave up using the scissors and cutting the coupons. I figure the client can at least do that.

So I am glad that IRS finally recognized not to send "their" voucher forms, which then I would receive a "panic" phone call from the client, and I in turn would advise the client simply to shred them, and use what our office had provided. Besides, the IRS vouchers are received with "no amount", so to rely on the client filling that it is too much.

So my clients just have to scissor cut and write the check, and affix a postage stamp. Besides, my computer 1040ES are nicer looking than the IRS vouchers.

Sandy

Comment

Thanks

for the post. It's nice to know it's official. I too always prepare vouchers and printed envelopes. I also always stamp the envelopes except for the clients that come back "next year" and did not make the Q payments. As a previous post said, I think that helps build business. I always remembered back in 65 or 66 I took my papers to a preparer and he always put a stamp on the envelpe. I was really impressed. And I never forgot it.
              But also, I don't have 200, 300 or 400 clients. If I did, maybe I'd try to find ways to speed up the process by cutting this or that. But I'll never know.
              Thanks again
              Larry

Comment

We buy window envelopes

and our software provides the slip sheets to insert..

As far as cutting the paper I would recomend a small paper cutter. You can get it at an office supply store and they are inexpensive.

The same enevelopes work for 1040-V.

Comment

Trouble is

since Jan we've been telling our customers that made 2007 ES, don't worry about your 2008 ES vouchers, they aren't mailed by IRS until the March timeframe. Now guess what after Monday's notice, we now have to tell them come back in and we will print you vouchers. Have already started doing some but it's going to be a "PITA" to try and find all the clients that should have had them printed in Jan, Feb and Mar. Thank heavens some have now realized that they haven't come and are calling.

Comment

Want to provide full service

I buy the cheapest, on sale, bill paying envelopes, the ones with the privacy lining, and run a sheet of labels with the address for ES payments, another for balance due, etc. When I'm on hold I can stick labels on envelopes. I'd run the numbers in my software anyway, so that next year the proposed ES payments would populate the return. I haven't been cutting out the vouchers. If a client wants to mail one sitting here, I hand her the scissors while I do something else, probably assembling her return. So, it's a minimal investment in time and supplies to make sure the client thinks of me as the source of all her tax needs. I don't want her to think she can get free forms from the IRS; next thing I know she'll realize she can file on line!

Comment

1040 Es

Right on, Lion.

Comment

I'm with Nashillve on this one...

I agree Nashville. I have encouraged my clients for years to use the ES forms prepared and sent to them by the IRS. This is just one more burden placed on the tax preparer to do the job of the IRS. They want us to police EIC and now be their off site printing supplier, for free.

I, like Nash will have to add this to my cost and pass it along to the customer. I'm tired and grouchy. Grrrrrrr.

Comment

I print labels and give them four (taped on the back) on the sheet they record their payments. If they didn't use the envelopes it would upset me too much. I also think they'll think how nice it is to have the labels each time whereas they wouldn't even notice the envelopes.
                          JG

Comment

Good point

JG,

Labels are a good idea, I had not thought of that, I have always taken the time to print the labels, affix them to the envelope, and provide an envelope along with the voucher form for each quarter payment, and in some cases x 2 because of State.

I can cut my costs and now not buy the envelopes, and it will save me approximately 2 minutes per client that I feel like I have to provide ES supplies to.

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Providing ES Vouchers

If the client didn't receive any ES vouchers from theIRS, my software prints a schedule plus 4 vouchers. Each voucher is on one full sheet and has to be cut off. I give the full sheet to the client because it has the address and other information regarding the voucher.

I do not provide envelopes.

I charge $13.00 for providing these vouchers and schedule.

If the client has his vouchers, I charge $8.00 for preparing a schedule.

I have a few "elderly" clients that need reminders. I charge them $5.00 plus $13 for each reminder that I sent out. They gladly pay it to avoid the 2210 penalty!
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X