Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Exam

Hello all,

1st time poster here wanting a little info on the EA exam. I downloaded last year's test and answers. Some of the questions don't look too bad, but I know the 3rd part will be tough as I am not strong in those areas.

Do any of you have any experience with the exam?
    More importantly, do you know of any resources that I could use to prepare me for the exam?

I have seen a few books and programs on the internet like Gleim and the National Tax Training School; anyone familiar with these or suggest other programs?

Thanks in advance for the time and info.
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Try Thomas Tax Seminar. They are some where in CA. Call information for their #. I think they are the best.

Best of luck

Comment

When I took the EA exam a few years back, I was surprised at how close the questions on the current test were to the questions on the prior year test. Some were identical. At least back then they updated the test year to year but they didn't change it. If you can take the 2004 test and score high, you'll probably be good on the 2005 test.

I spent the vast majority of my study time going over the prior year test. I'd take the test, log my score, go over the questions I got wrong, then I'd take it again. It's very much a matter of learning how to pass the test, not necessarily becoming an expert on the issues. I knew a couple of very smart people who knew much more than I about tax law who both failed the test twice because they didn't study much. I passed it my first time because after studying the prior year, I knew how the test flowed, and especially the types of tricks they use to throw you off track.

Good luck! Study hard. You'll do well.

Comment

EA Exam

I took the EA exam this past fall and passed all four parts on the first try. There are a variety of study guides out there that basically do the same thing. They provide a general outline and appropriate information on the topics covered and then have the exam questions from prior years along with the answers (updated for current tax laws). I used the Gleim materials and was satisfied with them; however, I think any of the materials will help you if you are willing to spend the time required to pass. Look up “EA Exam” on Google and you will find a bunch of companies with study guides.

I started studying in June and studied an hour or more almost every day until the exam date in September. By the end, I was just ready to take the test so I could be done studying. I was also anxious about Part 3, but thought Part 2 wound up being the toughest. It had the most questions on it that I had not seen on prior exams.

One thing you should know – the IRS has been planning to outsource the EA Exam process for the last several years. This year may finally be the year it happens, but then again it may not. If this happens, the format of the exam may change dramatically from prior years – so I do not know how the study guide companies will deal with this. The IRS website has an area specifically for Enrolled Agents, so you should probably check it every now and then to see what is going to happen to the 2006 format.

Hope this helps.

Comment

EA Exam

I loved the HRB course, excellent material and experienced instructor. But, take any course that lasts a few months over one that's a last minute cram course. And, whatever you use to study, begin by June and study consistently. I agree that part two was the hardest and had the most questions out of the blue. Both parts two and three are heavily Basis, Basis, and BASIS. And, keep checking the EA section on the IRS website to get the most up-to-date information. I also booked a room in the same hotel as the test for both nights, to avoid rush hour traffic and privacy to study, etc. It was worth every penny to pass it once and for all. Good luck to you.

Comment

My personal experience with the H& R block Course. Its the worse course i have taken. Those people dont seem to know any thing and they charge an arm & a leg.
            Call Thomas tax seminar and get their course. They are the best. Of course you will have to do a lot of studying but it pays off. You pass it the first time. IThe first time I took the course I failed the 1st part by 4 points.
            I got the Thomas tax course - the first part only. The final result. I missed only one question on the exam

Comment

EA Exam

I took my study course through Arthur EA Review out of Long Beach, CA. Good course. They have a system that lets you study in order of very important, somewhat important and least important. This is done according to how many times these questions in a group have been on the test. Personally, I thought ALL questions were important, but this method did give me a guide as to what would be on the test, most likely.

I got my materials in May or June and studied for hours each and everyday until the exam. Also, most of the pubs they suggest along with you printing up the past tests and answer sheets will be very helpful to you.

My goal when I started to study was to "learn" all of the material, not just how to pass the test. This became almost impossible, but if you can make it throught the test, you'll have time afterward to do this.

Good luck to you!

Dennis

Comment

What happens if you don't pass one part of the test? Can you take that one over the next year?

I remember there was something that changed about this.

Comment

Retaking missed parts

I tried to find out for you if that will be an option next year, but was unable to find it in the NAEA email I received a couple of days ago or the IRS site. All it said was the outsourcing contract had been awarded to Thomson Prometric and that when they get more info, they would pass it along, as I will!!

Dennis

Comment

Thank you for looking. Keep us up to date on it. Thomson is involved in just about every aspect of education and/or training it appears.

Comment

Wiseguides EA Review

I used this online study course and passed all 4 parts on the first try. You can even try it for free before you buy it.

Comment

Great info

As for passing 3 of 4 parts - the IRS goal was that if you failed any particular part, you had to retake all. Don't know if it really has happened yet but this past year was SUPPOSED to be the last time anyone could take a partial test. In 2006 everyone was in theory supposed to pass all 4 parts.

Great study advice on here. I also started in May (got the books earlier but didn't really start) and studied from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm every day before heading home in the evening. The last few weeks I really ramped it up to 2-3 hours per day and was so releaved when the exam date finally showed up. Having never done a tax return for anyone else, I was behind the 8 ball and passed all 4 parts the first time. The amount of quality study time is extremely important. I talked to a lot of people at the exam who began studying in September that it blew me away. Was not shocked when they freaked out at the difficulty of the exam.

The service you use isn't as important as the time. I used Arthur review but I think they are all about the same. Use what feels best for you. Some used cards, some computer programs, others books. I figured books were best for me as I could take them anywhere.

To me, the difficulty of part 2 had to do with the fact that very few questions were taken from previous exams. I was 100% sure I'd failed that part when I left, it was a miracle from God that I passed it )

Comment

Thanks

for the info all.
                          Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
                          X