Land taxes for royalty land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land taxes for royalty land

Taxes paid for land from which royalty income is received are deductible on Sch. E or Sch. A?

Gabrielle, Isn't there a line on the Schedule E, where royalty payments are accounted for, that lists taxes?
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
      Gabrielle, Isn't there a line on the Schedule E, where royalty payments are accounted for, that lists taxes?
      Oh, yes it is. I have been using this line for production taxes, which are deducted by the royalty companies automatically. I have been using the land taxes on Sch. A but now doubt that this is the correct treatment. Doesn't make any difference if they itemize but will if not.

Comment

State Issue

This could have an affect on the state income tax. Since a Schedule E deduction is above the AGI line it would affect all the states that start at the federal AGI and do not take into account the Schedule A items.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the state issue. However, in Montana the state is effected the same way as Federal, just at a different income level.

Anyone else a suggestion if these taxes should go on Sch. A or E?

Comment

Tax on land

If the land is used for anything other than as a location for the wells, then it could not all be considered an expense of the royalty. I don't really know the answer, but there might be some sort of allocation between the mineral interest in the property and the remaining interest in the property.

Comment

Working...
            X