New policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New policy

This is the new policy we will be implementing for next tax season. When the general public stumbles across this message board doing a Google search on their tax question, they will be able to read posts, but will not be able to post a message asking a question without first registering. When they try to register, they will be asked to enter a password found on the last page of the index in the printed book. If they are not in possession of a book, they cannot register as they will not know the password, and thus will not be allowed to bother us with simple questions.

Everyone who is currently registered will be unaffected by the new policy. TTB will not restrict access based on a person’s credentials. New members will have to purchase TTB in order to gain access to the password allowing them to register.

In the mean time, before TTB has the chance to implement this new policy, I would ask that we all ignore obvious general public questions. The recent poll suggests that the majority of us do not want to answer general public questions. Don’t even respond saying this board is for professionals only. I personally will no longer respond to them, as I would like to keep the quality of our message board at a professional level. If you do respond, you are not in violation of any rule; however, you do run the risk of turning off a number of professionals who may not stick around to answer your questions in the future. This message board is only as good as the professionals who volunteer their time to answer questions. Please keep this in mind next time you are tempted to help someone trying to do their own return.

I loves it !

Comment

OK with me.............................
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Sounds good to me too.

Linda F

Comment

Good as Possible

Would be nice if the tax professionals who did NOT buy the book were included. I believe some of them would be encouraged to consider TTB by participating on the board. All tax pros are helpful with discourse.

However, I don't know how to logistically leave the board open to tax professionals without leaving it open to everyone. Enter your EA #? what about your NATP#? or AICPA #? That sounds easy until you try to program this into your web. How do you get valid numbers? How often do you update? Are these organizations going to provide the webmaster with valid lists?

Under the circumstances, limiting the board to current users and customers in circulation may be the best way to handle it.

The current status quo with maybe 4000 users, 2000 of which might be freeloaders certainly leaves much to be desired, both professionally and operationally. Something had to be done.

Comment

I think

The password should ba available with the WEB CD and all other products and I think that as of when the new products become available every user should have to have a password.

Comment

If the password is on the last page of the index of the print version, it will also show up on the same page in the WebCD version.

Comment

What am I missing?

Dear Brad

Your new policy statement is puzzling. I never realized anyone here was required to reply to posts from people who appear to be non tax professionals. Apparently such posts are a major burden to some ... but I can't help but wonder who? Those types of questions don't bother me in the slightest. I simply don't answer them. But if I did, who would that hurt?

At least when someone from the general public posts here, he asks a legitimate tax question ... albeit a simple or naive one in many cases. Contrast that with all the idle chatter and non-tax nonsense that passes as acceptable because, apparently, it is posted by people who buy your product. If your objective is to reduce the number of unworthy posts, you might want to consider standards for the CONTENT of posts, including replies, instead of restricting WHO is allowed to post.

To me the most surprising part of your policy statement was where you urged everyone not to post replies to questions from the general public. The pettiness and small mindedness of that request was beneath you. If you don't want the public to post here and resent the fact that a few people are getting free advice (which I suspect is the main reason for your new policy), why don't you just delete their posts as soon as you see them?
                Roland Slugg
                "I do what I can."

Comment

Can't Please Everyone

Sluggo, this is prima facie evidence that you can't please everyone. I wish the new policy were less restrictive myself, but if I put myself in TMI's position, I don't know how I would be able to accomplish, except to leave it as it is now.

There was growing dissatisfaction among many of the members about free advice, as well as a proliferation of "members" who had no other purpose. Also, if Brad wants to keep the board free of insults and profanity, he has to monitor every post. Remember, all the editors/authors of TTB have tax practices too. The poll was an attempt to see how the membership felt, and there was considerable opinion in a myriad of directions. I did not perceive an attempt to make a unilateral decision.

In the interim, he has suggested we not answer questions for the public looking for free answers. This is surprising as on many other occasions he has expressed a position leaving this option open to those who wished to help. It may have something to do with the transition.

It is one thing for us to deal with board operations as users, and another thing entirely to deal with having to manage the thing. Personally, I would not wish to exclude ANYONE, but I do think there were some changes that had to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                    To me the most surprising part of your policy statement was where you urged everyone not to post replies to questions from the general public. The pettiness and small mindedness of that request was beneath you. If you don't want the public to post here and resent the fact that a few people are getting free advice (which I suspect is the main reason for your new policy), why don't you just delete their posts as soon as you see them?
                    It was not a rule. It was a request.

People can buy consumer tax software now for $29.95, then come on a message board like this one and get free advice from professionals on how to do their taxes. Some of our customers feel that is not an appropriate use of this message board.

Comment

Those types of questions don't bother me in the slightest. I simply don't answer them.
                      To me the most surprising part of your policy statement was where you urged everyone not to post replies to questions from the general public.
                      I find it puzzling you won’t answer their questions, but then criticize management for requesting we all do the same.

Comment

Policy

Your new policy statement is puzzling. I never realized anyone here was required to reply to posts from people who appear to be non tax professionals. Apparently such posts are a major burden to some ... but I can't help but wonder who?
                        There was/is considerable dissatisfaction among board members (me for one) about non-pros asking/demanding free advice. A poll was taken www.thetaxbook.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8102; the results were split (roughly): 1/3-No access / 1/3 Access allowed, don't answer / 1/3 Access allowed - answer their questions.

Those types of questions don't bother me in the slightest. I simply don't answer them. But if I did, who would that hurt?
                        While free advice here doesn't hurt you, it may well diminish the trade/traffic/money of a practitioner in the questioner's hometown.

At least when someone from the general public posts here, he asks a legitimate tax question ... albeit a simple or naive one in many cases. Contrast that with all the idle chatter and non-tax nonsense that passes as acceptable because, apparently, it is posted by people who buy your product. If your objective is to reduce the number of unworthy posts, you might want to consider standards for the CONTENT of posts, including replies, instead of restricting WHO is allowed to post.
                        Well, I'll have to recuse myself from this one as such a standard would eliminate many of my posts which could obviously be deemed "non-tax nonsense/idle chatter."

As Snag pointed out above, full-time monitoring is expensive and this board/the book is a business. When you stop giving away a product, you get rid of some people but you also might pick up some paying customers. They (the owners) have to do what they feel is best for their business and, while you may feel their actions are petty or small-minded, you can afford to be magnanimous. They can't.

Comment

I like the new policy. I read the board many times each day, and it provides a wonderful opportunity for sole tax practioner's to interact with others experiencing the similar frustrations & problems. IMHO, those purchasing consumer tax software should call the vendor with their questions. I doubt this board was established as a community service for non-tax professionals. Yes, reader's can skip questions from non-professionals. But, this often requires reading the question to determine the source which requires time from the busy schedule of many here. Most poster's here have established practices. For those trying to build a practice, it is frustrating to hear "I don't need a pro since I purchased Turbo Tax and do my own taxes", and then read free answers being provided to the same market segment. I've even seen many argue with the answers and request code sites.

Comment

Those types of questions don't bother me in the slightest. I simply don't answer them. But if I did, who would that hurt?
                            Your fellow tax preparers.

The amateur who is asking the question.

You'd have a different perspective if it was your clients who were coming on this board asking tax professionals for free advice so they didn't have to pay you. Just because it doesn't hurt you directly doesn't mean it doesn't hurt anyone.

This board is meant to be a benefit to tax professionals, who are customers or potential customers of the company footing the bill and doing the work to keep this board going. The principle of giving free advice to box buyers goes directly against the best interests of tax professionals in general. The company wants to avoid supporting something that is against the best interests of its customers.

You're also hurting the do it yourselfer. The sooner they realize the box is much more likely to cause them huge headaches than help them, the better off they'll be. You're giving them rope so they can hang themselves.

It's no different than our front office getting bogged down in phone calls the last week of tax season with questions from noncustomers who are asking questions while they're sitting at home doing their own tax return. They're seeking professional advice, they just don't want to pay for it. Who does that hurt?

Comment

Other possible options.....

Here is an idea. When ordering the TBB on line, have the buyer check a box to the following question:

The purchasing of the “Tax Book” is available to everyone. We like to keep track of how many of our purchasers are professional tax preparers whose income derives from preparing tax returns vs. Non-professionals. Please check the box that pertains to you:

I am a professional tax preparer: (box)

I am not a professional tax preparer: (box)

If the purchaser is calling in the order, the order taker can also ask the above question.

Then TBB can give those purchasers that mark the NO box a different code, one that will NOT allow access to this message board.

Another option is to have a board exclusively to professional tax preparers who are authorized e-filers.

Comment

Working...
                              X