Tax Message Board II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Message Board II

The last Message Board topic has 14 messages on it; this is the start of a new one. The more I use this TB Board themore impressed I am with it. I made an omission on a message and it was very simple to pull it up again and make the corrections. The same goes for deleting a message. You editors have established a badly needed product. Over this holiday weekend I plan to enter my order for your deluxe book. Thanks and keep up the good work.

The Tax Book Message Board

Yes, the more I use it the more I like it, and the ease that it has presented. Seems like a lot of foresight has been demonstrated. The mere fact that I can edit my post before submitting, is wonderful. I can't tell you how many times I have needed to do that, but did not have the function.

The ease of the using the VB codes for links, quotes, etc I really am enjoying, no more getting out my "html" cheat sheet or going to the website to find out the code to imbed a link or change color or quote which most of the time I fail at entering correctly. You all know we practiced after tax time!

This board has thought of most everything! except maybe what about spell check???

What was important to me this week was the update postings. first I had posted a question, then magically, there was an update, (just a coincidence) then I was going to post another pertinent long time discussion question on SE Health Insurance Premium Deduction , and just by chance went to updates, and it was there. So informative, so helpful, altho still questions. What a Great Service and so timely with the information!

And, last but not least, after almost a week of being here, it is great to see all of our old friends. It is like a family reunion, and that is so important to me. Everyone on this new board has contributed to very helpful answers and shared ideas and experiences, all of which is invaluable to all of us!

Happy 4th of July Holiday to all, and I am so thankful that all of you are here!

Sandy

Had not tried the Edit feature after posting, so here it is!!! How terrific this feature can be when we make an "oops" or "forget something" to add into the message with our posting. Thank you TB!!!
    Last edited by S T; 07-04-2005, 01:45 AM. Reason: Just testing this New Feature

Comment

Coming soon, to a theater near you…Message Board III, the sequel

I noticed Mr. Vowles, a long time regular over on the “other” board (can I say that?) is having some difficulty with someone impersonating him. Apparently the impersonator thinks he’s a great poster, but sometimes will “pass judgement” (sorry, should be spelled judgment) too quickly on others who aren’t as “knowledgeable and eloquent” in their minds or speech or something along those lines and therefore this person apparently thinks impersonating him will teach him a lesson, or something to that affect.

So then I think to myself (because I do converse with myself from time to time) could someone get offended at my arrogant and short sighted attempts at humor on this board and try to teach me a thing or two by impersonating the crow? So I try impersonating myself (I had to think for a moment on how that could be done), and low and behold the board comes up with some message saying I can’t do that unless I log in with my password. And then I realized that since I am the only one who knows my own password, I feel this sense of relief that no one else out there would have the lunatic thought formulations and fact patterns that are stuck in my head to be able to pull off the impersonation thing.

Nifty!

caw…caw…

Comment

Buzzard Bart / Dear Mr. Crow

Sorry, but I cannot let such claims go unchallenged. I, as well as you, have absolutely made many, many "arrogant and short-sighted attempts at humor" and most certainly do have "lunatic thought formulations and fact patterns that are stuck in my head" just as frequently and profusely as the next dope. Ask anybody. Why, I can think of two or three people right here on this very board who would swear to it and fervently wish that I'd go play in traffic. But...them's the breaks! Anyway, don't be hoggin' all the hogwash, otherwise I may become "offended" or "concerned" or "disturbed" and, in a fit of pique, rush out and become some sort of social activist.

Okay, rant's over (I was just kidding--some of my best friends are scarecrows). Do you happen to know, by the way, how to/what's wrong (1) emphasize or accent a word other than with quote marks? (2) print out just one message here instead of the whole thread? (3) when I do print out a thread, a couple of words from each sentence on the
        right side of the message get cut off (or is that just my computer/printer?).

Re: Vowles; yeah, I saw that (it wasn't me). The imposter was pretty good--I couldn't tell one from the other, like when V said "the above post is not mine," I really didn't know which post he was referring to; did you? Still, I thought the impersonator went a little overboard because, even though his target gets a bit zealous in his statements about views that he holds dear, who doesn't occasionally? You have to admit, the guy knows a lot about taxes.

I post this mess at some personal risk. Now everybody knows that I don't have one
        dang thing to do this holiday except eat and watch TV. I probably shouldn't ask, but, since misery loves company, what are you (and others who aren't warding off blackbirds) doing this weekend? Best regards.

Comment

Scarecrow Advice and Technical Inquiry Services Foundation Inc Etc Duh (SATISFIED)

I will try not to sound toooo technical as I have sent some of my blunt inhibitor straw out for dry cleaning over the weekend….but,

…you may notice at the bottom of the thread list display, there are posting rules, not that we are playing a post office delivery type card game or anything, but rules that tell us how to embellish our text so that others can discern the words they should have read but didn’t because they were too busy noticing our poor spelling and grammar skills we should have learned in 5th grade but didn’t because our attention span just couldn’t handle sitting still for such a long period between lunch and afternoon recess.

The posting rules say html codes are off, BUT vB codes are on, as if we are supposed to jump for joy over having to learn a totally new set of codes after spending years trying to get used to html on the other board so that our sentences do not run on and on and on with no place to take in some air…

Click on the little vB link and up pops a list of things you can do to make words bold, italic, underline, and other things we ought not get carried away with. There for your amusement if you should get tired of watching TV the rest of this afternoon.

What was your next question?? Oh yeah, how to print so that your print doesn’t fall off the edge of your paper….once you are in a thread, go to thread tools in the top center of the thread and pick show printable version where your printer will no longer freak out at the things you ask it to do….Why would you want to print any of our ramblings anyway, you might ask? But of course some on this board do stumble across useful information helpful to getting us through tax season from time to time. Make sure you file it someplace where you will find it, and be sure to keep the necessary backup documentation at least 7 years past the due date (not including third extensions) for the year preceding the year in which the tax return for the year you used the ramblings was affected…

As to printing just one comment instead of the whole thread, I can’t seem to find anyway to do that…but again, maybe context is important. Maybe there is some kind of posting rule that says if you are going to waste paper printing message board answers as if it meets some kind of substantiation requirements to avoid a negligence penalty for actually thinking the advice had merit, then context will at least give you some kind of leg (or in my case “post”) to hang from.

As to what I’m doing the rest of this day…I think Mrs. Crow and I will catch a movie. It’s our 24th wedding anniversary today…Funny though, they keep setting off fireworks every year in honor of our wedding anniversary….I keep telling the folks at city hall they don’t need to do that for us…but they do it anyway…such nice people around here.

caw

Comment

Sham

Do the conversations on this board seem a little too well rehearsed?

Are the questions and answers a little too perfect to play into the point?

Are they a little, perhaps, schizophrenic?

Could it be the questioner and respondent are the same person? Of course, this is the Internet and that could never happen…

Comment

Scarecrow & Unregistered Shammer

Dang, Crow, you're too sharp for me. I don't know if you're tryin' to be a smart aleck or not with that "have sent my blunt inhibitor straw out for dry cleaning." Are you cussin' there? What in the pluperfect heck does that mean? And what about that "not...playing a post office delivery type card game" remark. Are you saying I should read the instructions before trying to assemble (good point, if so)? Well, be that as it may, I'm obliged to you for enlightening me about the italics, etc. even it was an act of noblesse oblige (there's an accent mark that goes in there somewhere, but I don't know how to do those either). And, yes, about your wedding anniversary, I guess you do have a lot of clout--they're even lightin' firecrackers around here for it. Happy 24th to you and the Missus.

Shammer: Your questions deserve an answer, so....
              (1) Do the conversations on this board seem a little too well rehearsed? Well, I can't speak for Crow (or, accordin' to you, can I?) but I do rehearse my posts quite a bit. Given
              the quality of the ones I do post, you can just imagine how bad they'd be if I didn't.
              (2) Are the questions and answers a little too perfect to play into the point? Well, I must admit (though I may be prejudiced) that my questions are a little too perfect. Can't say the
              same for some answers.
              (3) Are they a little, perhaps, schizophrenic? Dang, now, that hurts. I've been called a mental case by a couple of clients (and Mrs. Bart) over the years, but never by a fellow professional (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt-schizophrenically speaking). But, to address your question, yeah, I think everybody's a little bit nuts. You too.
              (4) Could it be that the questioner and respondent are the same person (this is the Net, blah, blah...)? Well, it could be, of course, but as it happens here (and also-I believe-in most other posts on this and the "other" board), it ain't. Here's some good advice even if you didn't ask for it; try not to be such a cynic--if you look at everything like somebody's trying to put something over on you it'll just eat you up.

By the way, even if you aren't "cured" as a result of my remarks, thanks for limiting your insinuation to the term "sham." I've been called a dirty, rotten, low-down, inexcrupulous liar a few times, but I much prefer your term which gives mendacity a certain touch of class.

Comment

The Old Gang O' Mine

It is great to see the old gang. Not having anyone interested in arguing taxes for so long has made me crankier than usual. If you can believe that.

Someone obviously is aggravated enough they're spending time and energy trying to convince the whole lot of us that the postings are made up by only a handful of people.

Hmm. That's doesn't seem to fit. Why would anyone waste the keystrokes if it was only one or two people who would see it? Oh never mind.

My momma always told me, the time to worry ain't when people start taking potshots at you, the time to worry is when they stop.

I hope this board will continue to be a crowded market square of tax debate for a long time to come, at least until the question of whether a husband and wife business need to file Form 1065 is answered once and for all. Of course I know the answer to that already.

Comment

Sham postings

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Do the conversations on this board seem a little too well rehearsed?

Are the questions and answers a little too perfect to play into the point?

Are they a little, perhaps, schizophrenic?

Could it be the questioner and respondent are the same person? Of course, this is the Internet and that could never happen…
                  An improvement to this message board over the previous one Paul and I started several years ago is that we have taken steps to ensure people cannot impersonate or “pretend” to be more than one person. Everyone who registers using their email address cannot register as another person using that same email address. Likewise, no person can register under the same name as another person who has already registered. If you would like to register and log on like the rest of us and debate tax issues, you are welcome to do so. I think you will find that your tax questions will be answered by people on this board with the same level of expertise as that of the rest of the answers that have already been posted on this board.

Comment

Printing less than everything

While I am appreciative of the context argument, there are times I like to print less than the whole thread.

I have found that it is possible to highlight text, right click and then when the Print Menu comes up, if I ask it to print just the selection, it will only print my highlighted text.

But that doesn't solve the problem of having the right hand words go missing.

So what I will do is highlight my selected text and then right click, and choose COPY, then you can PASTE your selection into a Word document and not lose any of the text.

Comment

How to print single posts

Try this….

First scroll up to the top of the thread and click on “Thread Tools” and select “Show Printable Version.” Now the entire thread is in a printer friendly view mode. Now highlight text you want to print, as Abby suggests, right click on the text, select print, and when the print dialog box comes up, click on selection, and then print. Now your selected text will print without falling off the right side of the page.

Comment

Working...
                      X