Coverdale ESA rolled to 529

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coverdale ESA rolled to 529

When these are rolled over within the 60 days, is there a reporting requirement? Full amount was rolled, there are no educational expenses. Unfortunately, did not do trustee to trustee transfer. If reporting is required, whose tax return? Parents? Or do I have to do one for the kids? Thanks.

I did not know you could

distribute a coverdell to a 529.

But page 12-6 in TTB says you can. Good to know.
    Last edited by veritas; 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Reportable?

Question still stands - I have a 1099Q in child's SSN, with dad as custodian. Rolled over full amount. I have great documentation from both plans. It will not be taxed, but does it have to be reported? and who's tax return?

If anyone has seen this before, I would really appreciate it. A few years ago I did one, but just so happened to need to prepare a return for that child. So, I reported it on the kid's tax return on line 21 as income and out on line 21 as transfer with explanation. Never heard anything from IRS. However, I am not sure that was correct, PLUS I don't need to file a tax return for the child in this case. Don't want to run up charges that client doesn't need. Thanks.

Comment

From Pub. 970
        Rollovers and Other Transfers

Do not report qualifying rollovers anywhere on Form 1040. These are not taxable distributions.

Comment

beautiful!

Right there on page 43, Ch. 7. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X