Mileage paid & reimbursed > Std mileage rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client will be charging their customers mileage at $.60/mi in 2008 and reimbursing himself (2% shareholder / employee in S corporation) at $.60/mi for business mileage in his personal car.

What is the tax impact of this? I thought reimbursing at over the IRS standard rate resulted in income to the employee/shareholder, but I can't find this anywhere. Also, would just the excess over standard rate (i.e. $.095/mi) be considered income or the full $.60/mi.

I may be able to convince him to only reimburse himself at $.505/mi.

I see the mileage charged to customers as income & don't see any issues there. I recommended charging the IRS standard mileage rate and billing for travel time, but client said arrangement letters have already been signed.

The excess amount over the standard IRS rate paid to himself will be taxable on his personal return.

I reimburse myself from my corporation at the IRS rate. Tax deductible by my business, tax free to me.

I bill my clients 10ยข per mile over the IRS rate, currently billing $0.605/mile. (0.505 + 0.10).
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

pub 463

Try here, esp. the chart in ch. 6:

Comment

Thanks! pp. 29-32 of the Publication are exactly what I need.

Comment

Working...
        X