Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Carolina House Bill 239

GS 105=134.6(d). Has to do with 3000 and 4000 dollar deductions from income
    for Police, firefighters etc. Have Police bringing in letters about this. Does anyone
    know the status of this bill, passed, not passed or whatever. I will try to contact the
    General assembly tomorrow but in the meantime am very curious.
    Thanks for any help

House Bill 239

was passed to limit smoking in State owned buildings.

The only deduction that I know of for firefighters and EMT's is a $250 deduction from Fed. income if they are volunteers and perform a specific (36?) hours of training in the tax year. Check ind. return instructions for exact amount of hours.

If you find differently please post, as I have several clients who this would affect.

Comment

I found it

Originally posted by Oxtrainer View Post
      GS 105=134.6(d). Has to do with 3000 and 4000 dollar deductions from income
      for Police, firefighters etc. Have Police bringing in letters about this. Does anyone
      know the status of this bill, passed, not passed or whatever. I will try to contact the
      General assembly tomorrow but in the meantime am very curious.
      Thanks for any help
      This is the deduction of the first $4000 in retirement benefits from federal, state or local governments. Normally it's only the first $2000, but for govt. retirees the deduction is doubled. This has been in place for many (don't know how many) years.

Comment

It is worth noting that many many peace officers

and firefighters have wrong ideas about tax deductions they can take. The most common in my experience is the belief that they can deduct on 2106 one hundred percent of the cost of any foods and beverages that they both purchase and consume during their shifts. I also ran into a firefighter who was retired and disabled and had a long and convoluted story I no longer remember but the reason I bring him up here is that he thought his entire disability pension should be tax free because of some provision in the law that he said applied as far as he knew only to him out of all the firefighters in the US.

Comment

House bill 239 (2007 session)

The paper that has been brought to me says ammendment and effective for the tax
          year beginning 01/01/2007. Also it refers to taxable income not retirement income.
          Notice this ammendment is for the year 2007.
          I will call NC revenue in the morning. Perhaps it is nothing new but we shall see.
          Do appreciate your responses.
          C

Comment

Working...
          X