Change of address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of address?

Since the last tax filing, client has separated from wife and moved. He needs to get new address to IRS so that, if they give the tax rebate, it will come to him and not be lost in the mail system for the old address.

What is the simplest and best way to do this before filing this year's return?

Thanks in advance to all.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
    Since the last tax filing, client has separated from wife and moved. He needs to get new address to IRS so that, if they give the tax rebate, it will come to him and not be lost in the mail system for the old address.

What is the simplest and best way to do this before filing this year's return?

Thanks in advance to all.

LT
    File form 8822.

Comment

Thanks Larmil,

I have done that. I was just hoping that I could fax it or something.

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Change address with post office

How about making sure your client has put in a change of addess with his old post office? Though this is a maybe/maybe not as far as forwarding gov't checks. This is from IRS website under "Change of Address" topic:

"If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check."

And then:

"The U.S. Postal Service provides the IRS with change of address updates weekly. Tax forms will be mailed to the last address clearly and concisely provided by the taxpayer or the change of address information furnished by the Postal Service."

Comment

TRX seems not to efile just that form

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
          Thanks Larmil,

I have done that. I was just hoping that I could fax it or something.

LT
          TRX seems not to have a provision for efiling just the form in question. But what I wonder is why else the software would have the form. I can't see any reason to file it with a return. Simply filing the return with a different address will change the address the service has on file for that taxpayer, or so I thought.

Comment

Plenty of Time

thomtax:
            You said your client wants to be sure IRS has his new address before any tax rebate is issued. He has plenty of time for the address correction to get into the system before that happens.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Thanks all

erchess - I have several forms in my software that are just there so that I can prepare them for mailing in. I think the software companies are just trying to make it easier, and make their services such that you want to renew with them. The software had told me that I could not efile it. I just like to fax where possible since I at least know that it was received by the IRS. By mailing it, I just hope it got there.:-)

LT

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                Simply filing the return with a different address will change the address the service has on file for that taxpayer, or so I thought.
                Only for that return and going forward, not for anything connected with a previous return.

Comment

Change of address

If the change of address form is only good for the current return forward, how do you change the address so that communication concerning a prior year return is mailed to the new address?

Comment

A change of address

Originally posted by joci View Post
                    If the change of address form is only good for the current return forward, how do you change the address so that communication concerning a prior year return is mailed to the new address?
                    will correct taxpayer's record in the Master File, and therefore is good for all matters
                    and tax years.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                    X