SBBT requiring client phone number on 1040

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBBT requiring client phone number on 1040

Has any one else signed up with SBBT when you do a RAL, you are required to efile with the client phone number on the 1040. Our software won't even let us efile a RAL return without the client Phone number included on the 1040. I do not want IRS to have their phone number, I want IRS calling me first (way less problems in the long run). IRS does not require the phone number, how can SBBT require it to go to IRS? I called SBBT and it said it is not a requirement. Has any one else come accross this issue?

Phone Number

The software that we use requires at least one phone number for the taxpayer, and we even have it programmed to throw a severe error if the phone number field is filled in with our office telephone number. Procedurally, we require it on all electronically filed returns, regardless of the funding method. It is certainly not required by the IRS; the entry on Form 1040 is not mandatory. The phone number is required by our firm. Here's why:

When you file the return electronically, you act as agent for the taxpayer, and you are ensuring "delivery" of the return to the IRS. If the return is rejected, you have a fiduciary responsibility to notify the taxpayer as quickly as possible. In today's world, that means a phone call. And it means leaving a generic message to call our office if we get voice mail or if a different person answers the phone.

Sometimes we get a client who tells us flat out that they do not have a phone, or that their phone has been disconnected. And sometimes they are telling the truth. We politely and firmly insist that they provide at least the phone number of a family member or friend.

Of course, a client may occasionally give us a bogus phone number, or a phone number that is later changed or disconnected. Nothing you can do about that.

The bank requires a phone number for collection purposes. What if the refund never arrives and the RAL becomes delinquent? You can't get a loan anywhere else without providing a phone number. This is no different.

I guess maybe I should try to answer your original question...

Somewhere, buried in your tax prep software, there is an option to suppress the transfer of the client phone number from your general info screen to Form 1040. In the admin settings for the program, you may be able to set it as a default, so that the phone number doesn't transfer unless you tell it to do so. Or maybe not. Maybe in your program you have to manually suppress it on each return.

If it can't be done, then there is a flaw in the software you are using.

Check the help files for your tax software, or call tech support.

You are attacking the wrong problem. The problem isn't originating with SBBT. SBBT requires a phone number on the RAL application; they don't require a phone number on the Form 1040.

Your tax prep software is putting it there automatically.

Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I don't mind giving the clients phone number to SBBT, but I don't want to sent it to IRS. Our program is forcing us to give the phone number to IRS, they are insisting that SBBT is requiring it. I think it is a mater of interperation of a letter from SBBT. I was currious if other tax programs had interpereted it the same way. I am waiting to see what happens Monday.

Comment

Working...
      X