GO ZONE - is 50% bonus depreciation eligible for NOL 5 year carryback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GO ZONE - is 50% bonus depreciation eligible for NOL 5 year carryback

is GO Zone 50% bonus depreciation specifically eligible for NOL 5 year carryback?

Our question is as follows:

Re: Go Zone property

Our mortgage company couldn't get all the paperwork done in time for escrow to close by 12/31/07. They were ready to close 1/3/08.

We need that 50% bonus depreciation write-off to be applied to our '2007' return to make it feasible for us to proceed with the purchase.

We were wondering if the 50% depreciation officially 'is' or 'definitely is not' eligible for the 5 year carry back.

Therefore, we buy the go-zone 4-plex officially in 2008, but are able to take the bonus 50% depreciation (or most of it) on our 2007 tax return. Please help. Please clarify. Thanks.

Linda

Originally posted by Curious View Post
    is GO Zone 50% bonus depreciation specifically eligible for NOL 5 year carryback?

Our question is as follows:

Re: Go Zone property

Our mortgage company couldn't get all the paperwork done in time for escrow to close by 12/31/07. They were ready to close 1/3/08.

We need that 50% bonus depreciation write-off to be applied to our '2007' return to make it feasible for us to proceed with the purchase.

We were wondering if the 50% depreciation officially 'is' or 'definitely is not' eligible for the 5 year carry back.

Therefore, we buy the go-zone 4-plex officially in 2008, but are able to take the bonus 50% depreciation (or most of it) on our 2007 tax return. Please help. Please clarify. Thanks.

Linda
    Gulf Opportunity Zone Act
    Bonus Depreciation
    Businesses of all sizes affected by Hurricane Katrina
    can take a special first year depreciation deduction for
    qualified property acquired and placed in service in the
    GO Zone after August 27, 2005, and before January 1,
    2008 (before January 1, 2009 in the case of nonresidential
    real property and residential rental property). The
    special deduction is equal to 50 percent of the qualified
    property’s depreciable basis.
    Enhanced Section 179
    Certain small businesses affected by Hurricane Katrina
    can annually deduct up to $200,000 in qualifying property
    expenditures placed in service in the GO Zone.
    This is double the amount otherwise allowed for small
    business expensing. In addition, the phaseouts for level
    of investment increased from $400,000 to $1 million,
    allowing more small businesses to use this tax benefit.
    These provisions apply to qualified property acquired and
    placed in service in the GO Zone after August 27, 2005
    and before January 1, 2008. (Plus indexing for inflation)

Here is the full URL: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1460.pdf

Looks like the cut off was December 31, 2007 ????????? Unless it was non residential property or residential rental property............12/31/08
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

This is rental property so the cut off date is not until 12/31/08 so we are ok there. If we buy in 08, we can take the 50% bonus depreciation in 08.

However....

The problem is we need that 50% bonus depreciation in '2007'. The only way that will work for us is if that 50% depreciation is specificlaly eligible as a NOL - because of the special ruling on the 5 year carry back.

We're not clear if it is eligible as a NOL. Thanks.

Comment

This is rental property so the cut off date is not until 12/31/08 so we are ok there. If we buy in 08, we can take the 50% bonus depreciation in 08.

However....

The problem is we need that 50% bonus depreciation in '2007'. The only way that will work for us is if that 50% depreciation is specificlaly eligible as a NOL - because of the special ruling on the 5 year carry back.

We're not clear if it is eligible as a NOL. Thanks.
        I doubt that you will find an answer to your question. Many times questions are asked that should not be asked. When you look at any normal depreciation that will be part of an NOL, there is no question as to its use in an NOL. Sect 179 is normally restricted when it is part of a current year loss, it can't be deducted. I am not aware of any restriction using depreciation or bonus depreciation. Bonus depreciation is not new, but it did end a couple of years ago, and now it is brought back for your issue. I believe bonus depreciation is considered NORMAL depreciation and is handled as such.

In otherwords, I have never heard of any restriction on bonus depreciation. In the past it was required unless you elected out of it.
        Last edited by BOB W; 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

thanks so much for your input

Comment

Possible Relief

Curious, you might confirm whether the property was under contract for sale in 2007.

I believe the governing year for beginning depreciation on rental property is the "year the property is placed in service." I don't know what that does for or against you, or how to construe the definition. I believe it means that house must be ready to rent whether it is actually rented or not. If a renter was not allowed to take possession because title was held up until Jan 3, then I think you're outa luck.

Comment

thanks so much for your input
              Here are some of the rules on the 2003 Bonus Depreciation and other google searches :

Tax, accounting, workflow, and firm management solutions to help your firm succeed, with the research tools you need to stay sharp.

Bonus depreciation for the cost of tenant improvements just keeps getting better. First came the federal economic stimulus package in 2002 that contained a temporary provision for owners and tenants to deduct 30% of eligible non-residential leasehold improvement costs in the first year, with the other 70% depreciated over the standard 39-year schedule. Next, the U.S. Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation

I don't see any restriction to NOL use.
              Last edited by BOB W; 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

The new EA Journal (Jan_Feb) has an article about NOL's > It does not mentions anything about bonus depreciation but it talks about GOZONE issues.
                Last edited by BOB W; 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X