Notification of Tax Refund on your Visa/MC Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notification of Tax Refund on your Visa/MC Now

I received an email from a friend who was asking me about an email another individual had received titled as I have specified above. The email address was refund@irs.gov.

A refund was referred to with instructions as to how to access the form for her tax refund. There was mention of a dollar amount - did not do her return so do not know if the dollar amount was her refund.

I replied that as far as I knew the IRS does not send e-mails to individual taxpayers like this. I posed the question - how did they get your email address? Sounds like a scam to me.

What do you think?

Scam

Originally posted by susieq View Post
    I received an email from a friend who was asking me about an email another individual had received titled as I have specified above. The email address was refund@irs.gov.

A refund was referred to with instructions as to how to access the form for her tax refund. There was mention of a dollar amount - did not do her return so do not know if the dollar amount was her refund.

I replied that as far as I knew the IRS does not send e-mails to individual taxpayers like this. I posed the question - how did they get your email address? Sounds like a scam to me.

What do you think?
    See http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...170894,00.html on the IRS Website.

Comment

Uh-Oh

Does this mean I'm not going to get the $10,000 class-action award that I was promised for that $1.25 interest overpayment on my credit card from 3 years ago?

The email looked so genuine....
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes a fraud

Yes a fraud, as you mentioned, IRS does not do Emails.

Comment

Fraudulent e-mail

This is a fraudulent e-mail. The IRS has issued warnings about this.

Ask your client:
          1. How did the IRS got your e-mail? It is not on any return going to the IRS.
          2. The e-mail asks for your SS #, why would they ask for something they already have? The IRS has that number already.
          3. Why would the IRS want your credit card number to put the refund as a credit?

One of my "dense/common sense challenged" clients received one of these and I asked those questions.

Duh!
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
          X