Canadian income tax re land sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian income tax re land sale

US citizens/residents sell land in Canada and 20% is withheld. Are they allowed to file non-resident tax returns, report the actual gain and receive a refund?

Do Canada and Ontario taxes both apply?

Are the rules regarding cost basis related to gifts and inheritances the same as those in the U.S.?

Finally, does anyone out there do Canadian taxes and want a referral?

TIA!

Canadian taxes

I had a client that was originally a Canadian citizen that had a similar situation with the Canadian tax withheld from income. He filed the Canadian returns and I handled the US. It is strange that being only a little over an hour from the border I do not run into more Canadian/US tax issues.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

The world is an odd place

Originally posted by Matt Sova View Post
      I had a client that was originally a Canadian citizen that had a similar situation with the Canadian tax withheld from income. He filed the Canadian returns and I handled the US. It is strange that being only a little over an hour from the border I do not run into more Canadian/US tax issues.
      Here I am, a Canadian citizen and EA living in Hawaii, and a significant portion of my business is Canadian tax returns for Americans. Go figure!

Christoper Mewhort, EA
      chrismewhort@hawaiiantel.net
      mewhorttaxes.com

Comment

Working...
      X