Donation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donation?

Client (MFJ) purchased a church bldg for $200,000 on 01/01/06.
    Land = $65,000 and Bldg = $135,000

Their purpose was to help church. They will demolish the building and then make a new commercial building in 2007.

(1) Can they deduct $135,000 as charity donation to church on 2006 return?

Logic: Client got only Land ($65,000) in return for the purchase price ($200,000) paid. Yes, Client did got building but it was worthless - so it is like getting nothing. Client will demolish building in 2007. Building was not Rentable.

(2) Do I need letter from Church about this donation? Do I need to attached to return?

(3) Do I need report from appraisal saying that building value was zero at the time of purchase?

Thank you!

The building was either worth $135K or it was worthless, which is it? You state both. If the appraisal says the building was worthless at the time of purchase, then all $$ paid was for the land, regardless of what was put in the sale contract. I don't see a charitable contribution for the $135k.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Seems to me your client should of structured the purchase differently. Just buy the land/building for $65,000 and then donate the $135,000 to the church, it would of made this deal clean.

Other than that, the deal doesn't look like a contribution any-which-way as it was closed on. MFJ client has a $200,000 cost basis plus the demolition and rebuild.

But that is just my opinion........................

If you try to take a charitable deduction it is sure to be audited, so be sure of what you are doing.
      Last edited by BOB W; 11-02-2007, 11:22 AM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

of course, then you could get into the 'bargain purchase' rules. This looks like a good case of do first and then ask us to fix it later...

Comment

Just curious

By any chance were any of the parties to this sale & purchase related in any way? If so, then the burden of proof may go sky high.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I have the same kind of questions. Certainly you can take a donation for the difference if you make a donation and get something of lesser value in return. But "purchased a church building" doesn't sound like a donation.

It seems strange that nobody on either side of this transaction worried about structuring it in a way to lock in the donation before it happened. It seems more like a transaction occurred, then the potential charitable deduction was thought about after the fact. It doesn't make sense.

Also, and I'm getting out of my league here, but isn't real estate a different bird than anything else when it comes to buying and selling? Was the transaction recorded down at the county building as a purchase of a building for $135,000? Sales records for real estate are historical documents. Was that listed as FMV?

There's something missing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Luis Mopeo View Post
              I have the same kind of questions. Certainly you can take a donation for the difference if you make a donation and get something of lesser value in return. But "purchased a church building" doesn't sound like a donation.

It seems strange that nobody on either side of this transaction worried about structuring it in a way to lock in the donation before it happened. It seems more like a transaction occurred, then the potential charitable deduction was thought about after the fact. It doesn't make sense.

Also, and I'm getting out of my league here, but isn't real estate a different bird than anything else when it comes to buying and selling? Was the transaction recorded down at the county building as a purchase of a building for $135,000? Sales records for real estate are historical documents. Was that listed as FMV?

There's something missing here.
              Typically (around here at least) the final purchase price is not recorded at the court
              house. Only the deed is recorded, thus no "historical" record there.

Anyway, assuming arm's length sale (no related parties as mentioned elsewhere),
              then the basis of the land will be 200,000$ plus cost of demolition.

Then he can do whatever he wants to, i.e. build a commercial building thereon.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X