Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Dear John Letters" (i.e. Firing Clients)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dear John Letters" (i.e. Firing Clients)?

Does anyone have a "Dear John letter" they would be willing to share?

Dear John

I usually lie like a dog and tell them I am retiring. If they want me to recommend a replacement, I copy a list of accountants from the internet yellow pages and send it to them.

Comment

letter

Dear ,

Effective [Insert date], we can no longer service your account. We have come to this decision with great reluctance. We are resigning because [Insert reason (e.g. your continued failure to pay our fee for services in a timely manner; we have a conflict of interest between your company and other clients; our continuing staffing problems have made it impossible to serve your needs; we are changing the types of services we will offer in the future; we are concerned about your failure to act upon the recommendations we have made in the past; of our desire to decrease the number of clients we will serve in the future)].

We wish to remind you that we will not be performing any services for you after [Insert date], and that there may be tax returns, elections, or other compliance matters for which you are now responsible. We recommend that you immediately obtain a new accountant, and we will fully cooperate in providing information to your new accountant when your unpaid balance of [Insert amount] is paid in full. In addition, we require the return of the written authorization below, signed by you, to release any information to your new accounting firm. Without your written authorization, we are prohibited by our professional code of conduct from disclosing or discussing confidential client matters with anyone outside our firm.

We appreciate the opportunity to have served you in previous years, and wish you success in your future pursuits.

Sincerely,

Authorization to Release Information to New Accountant:

I authorize xxxxxxxxxxxxx to respond fully to any inquiries from our successor accountant, [Insert name], with any information they request regarding my business or personal tax or accounting records.

Comment

All the clients I've fired know exactly why I cut them loose. Why beat around the bush and fall all over yourself trying to let them down easy or offer a bunch of insincere platitudes?

Dr. Meester Beeg,

I (my firm) will no longer be available to prepare your tax return or perform associated services for you.

Sincerely,

Comment

Short and to the point is best

I tend to agree with Armando. Be aware, too, that any written communications could be used against you should the matter go to court. There should be no doubt that this client was a problem. Nicey nicey talk should be avoided. Just my opinion. Joanne

Comment

Client Deletes

Be direct and honest with them. If they are a pain in the butt, tell them so. In most cases they will appreciate your candor. If not they are history anyway. Life is too short to be politically and socially correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Dear ,

Effective [Insert date], we can no longer service your account. We have come to this decision with great reluctance. We are resigning because [Insert reason (e.g. your continued failure to pay our fee for services in a timely manner; we have a conflict of interest between your company and other clients; our continuing staffing problems have made it impossible to serve your needs; we are changing the types of services we will offer in the future; we are concerned about your failure to act upon the recommendations we have made in the past; of our desire to decrease the number of clients we will serve in the future)].

We wish to remind you that we will not be performing any services for you after [Insert date], and that there may be tax returns, elections, or other compliance matters for which you are now responsible. We recommend that you immediately obtain a new accountant, and we will fully cooperate in providing information to your new accountant when your unpaid balance of [Insert amount] is paid in full. In addition, we require the return of the written authorization below, signed by you, to release any information to your new accounting firm. Without your written authorization, we are prohibited by our professional code of conduct from disclosing or discussing confidential client matters with anyone outside our firm.

We appreciate the opportunity to have served you in previous years, and wish you success in your future pursuits.

Sincerely,

Authorization to Release Information to New Accountant:

I authorize xxxxxxxxxxxxx to respond fully to any inquiries from our successor accountant, [Insert name], with any information they request regarding my business or personal tax or accounting records.
              Thanks!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X