Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The National Christmas Tree and other stuff:

The following are paraphrased excerpts from the Internet:

Darren Smith-Guide to U.S. Parks--In November 1923, First Lady Grace Coolidge invited Washington, D. C. Public Schools to erect a Christmas tree in President's Park (now the "Ellipse"), south of the White House. Organizers named it the "National Christmas Tree." At 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve, President Calvin Coolidge pushed the button lighting the 48-foot Balsam fir from Vermont. Through 1972, donated cut trees were used. In 1973 they used a live 42-foot blue spruce donated by John of --- no, wait -- that's northern Pennsylvania (nice of y'all to do that, John). That tree and its successor died; then in 1978 a Colorado blue spruce donated by an anonymous family in Maryland (whatsa matter with Colorado?) was planted and has been used ever since.

Erin Anderson-Lincoln Journal Star--Quotes from the community:
    "There are people who say secular celebrations take away from the church; I don't say that." -- Pastor Harry Riggs-First Baptist Church.

Holiday traditions -- tree decorating, cookie baking, etc. -- are important and meaningful. They are rituals that center us in a world that is changing faster and faster. "It is an anchoring in a family, in a culture. It is a way of having stability and an identity."-- Cindy Kaliff.

"There is something deep inside of the human psyche that needs a celebration where we celebrate light that overcomes darkness, where we put aside differences and try very hard to ignore the darker side of human nature -- the baser side of who we are -- and do good, love one another and be kind to one another. We need to be reminded of that on a regular basis." -- Rev. Wayne Alloway-St. Mark's United Methodist Church.

"Christmas does that." -- Erin Andersen.

On to the trivia (don't ask me the source or to verify authenticity--I don't know and can't):

The first Christmas trees were oak--later replaced by evergreens, supposedly to symbolize renewed and enduring life (bet it's 'cause it was easier--same deal with my black get-ups--they can't tell if I'm changin' shirts or not).

First recorded display of a Christmas tree-1510-Latvia (in Europe; for non-geography majors)

16th century Germans (one for you, Gabriele) decorated fir trees with apples, roses, candy, and colored paper.

In 1848, Prince Albert (no, not the tobacco can), a native of Germany (that's two for you, G.), brought the Christmas tree to his wife, England's Queen Victoria. A drawing of the family around the tree in Windsor Castle soon made the tree an English holiday tradition.

Christmas trees in the United States--Disputed:
    Version #1: Hessian Germans (good grief, Gabriele, I didn't know y'all started the whole thing) brought it here during the Revolutionary War.
    Version #2: Pennsylvania German (well, at least you have to split this one with John) immigrants brought it here in the 1800s.

President Franklin Pierce brought the first Christmas tree into the White House in 1856.

Protestant reformer Martin Luther (wasn't he German?) gets credit for lighting up the tree. Legend says he saw starlight shining through a fir tree while walking home. The beauty of it inspired him to place candles on his tree at home (now, that would be some trick not to set the house on fire).

Edward Johnson, an employee of Thomas Edison, first put electric lights on a Christmas tree--late 18-something. They were expensive and not many could afford them until 1920 when G.E. mass-produced them.

Mistletoe -- ancients believed it had and was: magical healing powers, symbol of peace, antidote for infertility and poison, warded off evil spirits (I could use some-uh that). Maidens burned it--steady flame: good husband/ sputtering flame: bad husband. Doesn't say how the kissin' crept in there.

The poinsettia is named after Joel R. Poinsett (that's a county in--ahem--Arkansas), the U.S. ambassador to Mexico who brought the plant to the United States in 1829 after seeing it used in Mexican Christmas celebrations.

Stockings: Dates back to a story of three poor sisters who hung their stockings by the hearth to dry and St. Nicholas threw three coins down the chimney, with one coin landing in each of the girls' stockings. Today, we hang our stockings in hope of good fortune.

Santa Claus: Many stories of origin--most likely evolved from Clement C. Moore's 1822 poem "The Night Before Christmas" (your poem, Donanita) and Thomas Nast's 1863 drawing of him for Harper's Weekly magazine.

Rudolph: From a 1939 Christmas story by Montgomery Ward ad writer, Robert L. May. A relative later made a song of it. Gene Autry objected to recording it, but his wife insisted (should we maybe listen to them a little more?) and he sold two million copies in 1949. It remains the second bestselling Christmas song of all time (Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is first).

Fruitcake: "it's impossible to age a fruitcake too long, say those in the know. If stored in an airtight container and basted occasionally with liquor, it'll keep indefinitely (hmm; what'll teetotalers do?)." -- Historian Barbara Mikkelson.

This list goes on and on and I'm "give out." Back to kerchief, cap, and snuggleland. Merry Christmas again to all.

p.s. I got a gift card to Books-A-Million. Challgit? (the local vernacular for "What did you all get")
    Last edited by Black Bart; 12-25-2005, 11:21 PM.
Working...
X