Education Credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education Credits

In 2004 college tuition was paid by Grandma and Student, but Mom got students dependency deduction so mom got the education credit.

For 2005 Gandma and student paid the tuition, and again Mom gets the students dependency deduction, but if Mom did not pay the tuition Mom no longer gets the education credit?

Are you really a student?

Comment

The answer is on page 12-3 of THETAXBOOK

Comment

Merry Christmas & Happy Tax Season to one & all!

I didn't ask this question to get you all excited. Just looking for some opinions, not "free advice". I will find my answer elsewhere.

Comment

Take it easy, my studious colleague,

C'mon back and we'll look it up for you. We don't want anybody to go away mad, and besides, we want new potential customers to help keep this scratchpad goin.'

You've got as much pull as the "unregistereds" (just givin' yourself a name is a step up) and, since education is never a waste, maybe you could even teach us a thing or two.

Still around?

Comment

Aw, c'mon -- think: good will toward men and all that

Ask yourself, WWJD (and that's not "what would jainen do" either)?

Comment

Originally posted by Student
              In 2004 college tuition was paid by Grandma and Student, but Mom got students dependency deduction so mom got the education credit.

For 2005 Gandma and student paid the tuition, and again Mom gets the students dependency deduction, but if Mom did not pay the tuition Mom no longer gets the education credit?
              TheTaxBook page 12-3:

"A special rule allows taxpayers to use a dependent student's payments to claim education credits, including direct payments by third parties that are treated as paid by the student...This rule does not apply to the tuition and fees deduction or other education benefits."

If a third party (Grandma) make direct payments, those are considered paid by the student. The student's payments (both student's and Grandma's) are allowed to mom for the education credits, assuming student is a dependent of mom.

Your question appears to be about a law change. There was a law change that might affect whether the child can be claimed as a dependent in the first place. But assuming they are a dependent, the law allowing third-party payments for education expenses has not changed.

Comment

Working...
              X