Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% charitable deduction for Non-Katrina donations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% charitable deduction for Non-Katrina donations?

A broker told me that taxpayers can take a 100% deduction (based on AGI less NOL) for ALL charitable donations, including NON-Katrina-related contributions. I thought that KETRA (Katrina Emergency Tax Relief Act of 2005) increased the contribution limit ONLY for Katrina-related donations. Anyone have more current info than I do?

The contribution rule is about the only one that does not require it be related to Katrina other than the contributions must be given after August 27th through the end of the year to qualify.

Comment

In reference to the up to 100% AGI limit on charitable contributions, TTB page 1-13 says: “Qualified contributions. Refers to any charitable contribution paid during the period beginning on August 28, 2005 and ending on December 31, 2005 in cash to a charitable organization (other than a private foundation). In the case of a C corporation, the contribution must be paid for relief efforts related to Hurricane Katrina (not a requirement for individuals).”

So yes, your broker is correct.

Comment

Fall Tax Institute Workbook Supplement unclear on Katrina donations

Thanks, Bees Knees and Guest. Don't have TTB yet. The above supplement has this wording in bold print:

"KETRA increases this limit to 100% of the charitable base for Katrina donations made between August 28, 2005 and December 31, 2005."

The words "for Katrina donations" imply to me that non-Katrina donations don't qualify. I will contact the authors to suggest a change in the wording. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X