Moving an office location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving an office location

I know this may not be the time of year for many of you to address this question, but for me, it is. Trying to think ahead!

I would like to move my office location closer to my home, which is about 36 miles round trip. The area my home is located in is a much nicer area and I think better suited for our business.

I would like to hear from those who have done this type of move and if so, what problems, if any, did you have? I know some of the potential problems I would be facing and believe I can work past these.

Hopefully, you might be able to enlighten me on some I'm overlooking and some I'm not. Any and all suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks, Dennis

Moving office

I've moved several times. You will lose a few clients with each move, but will pick up new ones. Some will mail their info to you instead of driving to your new location.

Eventually I had a house built with an office in the home and saved a lot of rent.
    I then sold the house and moved to another town ten miles away which was closer to a lot of my clients. I don't think there was any loss of clients on that move.

If you are trying to build your practice, you probably will get fewer new clients in a home office, but you won't have near the turnover you get with drop-in clients.

Comment

Joe,

I am still building my client base after four years, but I'm holding steady right now. My thoughts are to move into an office location with decent exposure, not my home, although that would be wonderful.

I have been struggling with the idea of telling my clients this year or just waiting until I mail out the letter for next year, that I have moved to a new location, but will be more than willing to see them at their home or office location for their intial interview. Do you have any thoughts on what might be the best route to go?

Like you stated, I will also tell them that another option is to mail their info to me, which some do now. I believe either of these would be a nice transition for them so they don't have to think a tax office needs to be in "their town". I really would like to make this move in the next year or so, preferably for the '06 tax season.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I have so many ideas about how to make this work for me and for the clients and have struggled with this idea for some time. It's nice to toss ideas around from everyone so I can choose a plan of action!

Dennis

Comment

a moving experience

been there, done that, twice in 31 years.

Anyway, to make things short:
        1. a separate office from home is better. More business like, and better for concentrating on
        the tasks at hand. Also keeps clients from bothering you at home, which if you have an office
        there, they think they have a right to.

2. You're going to lose some no matter what. Some just don't read the letter you send (if you wait till just before next tax season); some can't read a map. Some are just lazy.

So if you're not moving till next year, tell them as soon as possible. Try to figure out which ones might still need a friendly phone call next year to remind them where you are.

ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Map to new location

One of the things I did when I moved to my present location was to mail a map showing the way to my new location starting with the major highway that runs from the north and the south. Also the new address and phone number were shown on this mail-out.

Draw the map. Type the street names and other info. Scotch-tape the typed info on the map (making it look better than if you wrote them manually.)

If you are willing to go to the client's house/office include that prominently.

I have clients mail returns to me in North Texas from New Mexico, Ohio, and all over Texas including near the Mexican border. These are clients that originally lived near me and moved.

Comment

Moving Location

DT;

Last summer I moved my location. I told my clients that I was moving, but would keep the same phone numbers. My landline phone I ported to a broadband service. My cell phone which I use extensively during tax season kept the same number. Several times since then I have had calls from clients for tax information. Even when I was in Michigan, I had access to these telephone numbers.

I don't believe moving will really make any difference in my practice. I am using my son's address as my office address. I see clients by appointment only. Some times at their homes and sometimes at my office location. Although I can maintain an office in our new condo, I am not suppose to see clients there. Will see how this works out this year.

I agree it is better to have a business location for your office. I am just not at that point now.
            Good luck to you in your planning. I believe it would be better to let your clients know during tax season.

Comment

Moving office

We relocated this past fall, had outgrown our old office. We only moved one block, and did like Joe said and mailed a map to all clients. We related it to the old location and included the new address. Kept the same phone number so that helped. Try to get the new address in the yellow page ad if you have an ad. Biggest hassle was getting the DSL moved, phone company took three weeks to get it straightened out and required a new modem. We will include the information in the welcome back letter in January again.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Moving

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Each and every one has to be used when I make my move.

As I think about this move a little more, I will have some more questions, which I will post.

Thanks, again. Dennis

Comment

Working...
                X