Sell More Tax Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell More Tax Book

To the owners of Tax book. I am a recent graduate of H&R Block. I would just like to give some info. from the point of view of the lower working class(under 15000 a year), that haven't made the big money in preparing taxes yet. I believe if you want to out sell your competiter Quick Finder. You shold offer your books at about 10 bucks less than them otherwise why would I who value my money by your book that is only 5 bucks less if my new boss prefers Quick Finder. Also you might think about donating a few to colleges and tax schools, new prepares, new tax businesses. Like a one time deal kind of thing. That way you get your name out there and we can see the product in person. I didn't really feel comfortable spending alot of money on a book, that I could use for diapers, wipes, etc. But when I saw Quick Finder in person the 2004 edition I realized it was worth the investment. Well just an opinion.

TaxBook

Still waiting for my edition of The TaxBook. I also ordered the QF, as I have in the past. However, this will be the last year for whichever one isn't up to par. Wish I would have sent my e-mail address with the order because on another webboard some are mentioning that they have received an e-mail that their TaxBook is on the way.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

World Headquarters

I am stopping out at Tax Book world headquarters this morning to pick up an order of 26. All 26 not for me, but a several practioners. Actually I was supposed to stop on the way in and--------forgot-of course someone just stopped to get their copy...

Comment

Got mine today.

UPS just delivered mine this morning, looks great, alot of info there.

Comment

Free copies

I would like to get a free copy too, but it would not be realistic for the Tax Book to hand out the book free. I did not use a price comparison to decide. If you are going to do taxes, you need a quick way to find answers. Sometimes a quick answer won't cover it, but over 90% of the time it does, and it saves you a lot of time and hassle and gives you more time to research the more complicated situations.

Even the IRS won't provide a free Package X any more.

Comment

TaxBook

Just received the Deluxe Edition today. UPS in their tracking had stated the scheduled delivery was for 12/20. I thought that was strange since the shipment was reported to be at Jacksonville yesterday.

Comment

If it is FREE

This is a great resource. If you want to do a few free returns before you start charging you could do that. I am sure it would be a marketing tool.

The World Headquarters was fun and Paul was there answering my tax questions and helping me carry the books to my car.

This year's product is great(deluxe) and next year will be better.

I need a couple more important posts. Did Armendo(sp) really vote for Jesse????

TaxBooks takes on Thompson Publishing-owner of PPC, Creative Solutions, RIA, West Publishing and all acquired after they were one of the largest intl Corps-Tornoto, Canada. I forgot Gear Up...

I still use Creative Solutions and PPC items, but not QB anymore.

Comment

"To the owners of Tax book. I am a recent graduate of H&R Block." "You shold offer your books at about 10 bucks less than them otherwise why would I who value my money by your book that is only 5 bucks less if my new boss prefers Quick Finder."

H&R Block does not prefer QF. It is probably your office manager or district manager. Many of the tax professionals in several districts here in Phoenix have all ordered TheTaxBook.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by JON
                  I need a couple more important posts. Did Armendo(sp) really vote for Jesse????
                  Yes he did. Didn't he show you his Jesse boble head doll?

Comment

"The World Headquarters was fun and Paul was there answering my tax questions and helping me carry the books to my car.

I need a couple more important posts. Did Armendo(sp) really vote for Jesse????"

It was nice to meet you Jon.

Yeah, Jesse was the ultimate "None of the Above" candidate.

I turned on the TV on election night. Skip's headquarters was like a funeral. Norm's headquarters were like a funeral. Then they cut to Jesse's headquarters and it looked like a Metallica concert where they were passing people over the top of the crowd. Uh oh.

I woke up in the middle of the night screaming "What have I done?"

Not long after, in a twist of fate, I accidently shaved my head, honest (I forgot to put the attachment on the clippers. When I realized I had a two inch swath of bald halfway up my head, after I bounced around the house like I'd hit my thumb with a hammer, I knew I had two choices: Either put a bandage on it and tell people I got shot, or finish the job).

The moment I left the house to go buy a hat, people everywhere started staring at me funny. After about the 20th time somebody told me I look just like Jesse Ventura, I decided to parlay it. It was my "Jesse Period," with parades, political events, and Jesse look-alike contests. That's why the Jesse bobblehead and such. I started getting those things as gifts.

[deep voice, oafish quality] "Here's the thing about that deal." eh? eh?

My lovely wife was not terribly thrilled about the whole thing. But I don't think she was as terrified as Meredith two doors down. A couple days after I shaved my head her husband Pete walks out the front door with - you guessed it - his head shaved smooth as a baby's butt. He looked at me and smiled, and patted the top of his head, I patted mine, and that became sort of our neighborhood salute. The heat was on after a while and I grew my hair back before the womenfolk in the community ran me out of town.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Comment

The Tax Book V. Quick Finder

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      To the owners of Tax book. I am a recent graduate of H&R Block. I would just like to give some info. from the point of view of the lower working class(under 15000 a year), that haven't made the big money in preparing taxes yet. I believe if you want to out sell your competiter Quick Finder. You shold offer your books at about 10 bucks less than them otherwise why would I who value my money by your book that is only 5 bucks less if my new boss prefers Quick Finder. Also you might think about donating a few to colleges and tax schools, new prepares, new tax businesses. Like a one time deal kind of thing. That way you get your name out there and we can see the product in person. I didn't really feel comfortable spending alot of money on a book, that I could use for diapers, wipes, etc. But when I saw Quick Finder in person the 2004 edition I realized it was worth the investment. Well just an opinion.
                      Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in your first tax season.

Quick Finder is very impressive! I have been very pleased with them in the past. The problem with QF since it became a part of PPC, is every time you turn around, there is a new book covering a new topic. Tax Planning for Individuals! Tax Planning for Small Businesses! Depreciation! Aren't these topics covered in the 1040 and Small Business QFs? They were in the past! If QF can offer these topics separately, they can charge more for less content!!!

When I received my mailer regarding the new Tax Book, I knew I wanted to buy the Deluxe version! Although I prepare primarily individual tax returns, the information related to small businesses is important for advising clients who may be sole proprietors or thinking of starting a business and wondering what form the business should take.

The QF 1040 and Small Business guides would cost about $80 before shipping, (with all the new formats, I'm not sure that I would be receiving all the information I've received in the past which may require additional purchases)-- the Deluxe version of the Tax Book is $65 before shipping-- The cost savings is clear.

The authors are those who have provided me with a quick answer format to my questions in the past. I trust they will continue to do so with the new Tax Book.

My coworkers who do not purchase the Tax Book this year will switch next year when they realize the value!!!

To the authors of The Tax Book, thanks for the alternative!

Comment

I am also a new HRB associate. I ordered the QF back in September, and got the book on December 6. When I found this site (from the QF message board) I ordered TTB - got it in three days.

Now, since I am new at using both publications, I am going to evaluate both.. already I find that the TB is more fun to read, and seems to be arranged a little better.
                        For instance; I was looking up information on Cafeteria Plans, not in the QF index - but, quickly located in TTB.

I think I'll just use both publications .... can't do anything but help me learn.

Don B

Comment

Originally posted by Don B
                          I think I'll just use both publications .... can't do anything but help me learn.

Don B
                          I've got both books also. Here's a question for you to look up: Taxpayer comes in to you and says he is supporting his live in girlfriend (not married and not violating local law). She made less than $3,200 during 2005. She also has custody of a 5 year old kid from a previous marriage. Your client wants to claim both as dependents and take Head of Household.

Can he do that?

Look it up in both books and give me the answer.

Comment

Well, both publications are a little muddy on this subject.

Assuming that the girl friend meets all of the other requirements as a qualifying relative, she is the guy's dependent. The girl friend's son can't be the guy's dependent under any circumstances, and since the girl is a dependent she can't claim her son as a dependent.

The guy is filing as Single.
                            The girlfriend should probably file and get back the withholdings on her W2.

I'm not clear whether she can get a child tax credit or not. The QF, on page 12-2 notes that "A qualifying child need not be one who is claimed as a dependent of the taxpayer."
                            TTB, on page 11-3 says: "The child must be a qualifying child, and the taxpayer must be eligible to claim the child as a dependent."

There can't be any Head of Household here because the girlfriend is not a "true" relative.

I wish these "Uniform Definitions" were clearer.
                            Last edited by Don B; 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM. Reason: Child Tax credit note.

Comment

TTB, on page 11-3 says: "The child must be a qualifying child, and the taxpayer must be eligible to claim the child as a dependent."
                              It also says right below it under Form 8901 to file that form if the qualifying child for purposes of the child tax credit is not claimed as a dependent….attach 8901, implying the child need not be a dependent.

There can't be any Head of Household here because the girlfriend is not a "true" relative.
                              Agreed. Except QF page 4-6 under Head of Household requirements says boyfriend could get HOH if his house is the principal residence for more than half the year of the taxpayer’s qualifying relative. Isn’t the girlfriend a qualifying relative? Doesn’t that give him HOH?

TTB page 3-13 says you get HOH for any person the taxpayer can claim as a dependent, but not including…any person who is the taxpayer’s dependent only because he or she lived with the taxpayer for all of 2005.

Is there a conflict of information there?

Comment

Working...
                              X