Another title please,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another title please,

I am nearing the 100 posting mark. I am not sure at what point one becomes a senior member. However, I would suggest some more pleasing synonyms:

higher member

leading member

more advanced member

next higher member

superior member

Thanks,
    JG
    JG

Better Title

I heartily agree! I'm trying to postpone being a Senior anything. I enthusiastically vote for "Superior Member." Good luck with your referendum. Not sure if those Minnesota boys will cater to such a California concept as rule by referendum, but I admire your pluck (as my mother would say).

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA
      I am nearing the 100 posting mark. I am not sure at what point one becomes a senior member. However, I would suggest some more pleasing synonyms:

higher member

leading member

more advanced member

next higher member

superior member

Thanks,
      JG
      I like "Superior Member." That has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Senior

I can't wait to be a senior in real life to get all the discounts.

Comment

Gabriele

remember, with the advantages of senior citizens getting all these discounts, come other benefits also: i.e. Arthritis, your forgetteror is better than your rememberer, etc.
          Just a, er, er, oh yes, a reminder.

Comment

Gabriele

I'm a senior,,,,pay the price, the discounts are not worth the extra wear and tear brought on by qualifying as a senior.
            Confucius say:
            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

RylmanC-do you

remember the old silent movies? Had a travelling medicine show come through our
              area with a silent movie, back in 1936. Had a large canvas tent and piano. we paid
              admition fee with a chicken, dozen eggs, whatever. The wife played the piano in
              accompaniment to the action on the screen. Cain't seem to remember what the movie
              was about though.
              My rememberer is not as good as my forgetterer.

Comment

Only the young

Originally posted by Gabriele
                I can't wait to be a senior in real life to get all the discounts.
                Spoken like a young person. I resent all discounts and will never frequent a store again that offers me one.
                JG

Comment

Senior Title

While most of us would not like to think of ourselves as Seniors, it does have moments, like the 10% or 15% off when we go out to eat, getting our car washed, certain subscriptions, etc.

So while I haven't quite joined the ranks age wise, my husband has, and he will always purposely forget to ask for the senior special or discount. He claims if you ask for or order the senior meal at a restaurant, they give you the "kids meal" so you get cheated!

Another issue if you are booking air flights or hotel reservations and you mark the box "senior" not so many options on booking. If you pay full fare on either more options are available.

So I think using "Senior" is check it out, compare, see what is available, and then make the decision whether or not to use "Senior". In some cases I do think there is some discrimination or penalty.

So in reference to this topic of conversation on this forum , yes maybe a different term should be used for our member or posting status. Senior Member would lend itself to "age, knowledge, discounts (probably not), been around too long, over the hill, too tired to care, set in our ways, and too many other to mention.

Sandy
                  Last edited by S T; 12-13-2005, 03:20 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Yes, Senior can refer to a body that is wearing out.

But it can also refer to a person who is full of wisdom with years of practical experience. Maybe memory starts to fade, but wisdom remains. The memory you start to lose is the less important details.

I have a step mother in her 90’s that can no longer remember words to say. She can’t converse very well with people because she is constantly struggling with the right word to say, or the name of a place, or the name of a person. Yet her memories of an event and the moral of the story is still clear in her mind. If you listen long enough to her struggle with a story, you can still get intelligent conversation out of her.

In many cultures, the Senior is the one looked up to. The one everyone listens to, the one you stand up for when they walk in the room. Don’t be ashamed of your age. It is something you earned and it is something to be proud of. Proverbs 16:31 says “gray-headedness is a crown of beauty….” It is only recently in our throw away society that people have started to view Senior as a negative.

Comment

Lobby

Also I think seniors have a lobby now with all the baby boomers.

The feeling for oneself inside has nothing to do with the age of the body. For me, that's all that counts.

Even the body doesn't need to get in a poor condition. There are enough people around to prove it. Maybe we should develop a slogan like: Keep up your good spirits, open your hearts and don't worry about the body.

Comment

Discounts

Weeks after my stepfather retired from government service, he and my Mother went to the movies. The young girl behind the window said, "and of course, you'll be receiving the senior citizen discount". I don't want to tell you what he told her!

After the shock of retiring wore off, he started to look forward to these discounts and became a master at seeking them out.

Dennis

Comment

seniors

With all this talk about seniors and age related... problems
                          (for lack of a better word), I'm wondering,

Will the authors of TTB ever come out with a large type edition?

Just food for thought.

ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Large type edition would be great.

Comment

Senior members

I don't see anything wrong with the word 'senior'. It is often used as part of a job title.
                              However, I'm not sure that the words junior or senior have any significance on this message board since the titles are based on the volume of postings rather than their quality.

One message board I used to frequent had a section called 'golden posts' which preserved some of the best postings --that is, the best in the opinion of the people who owned the message board. (None of my brilliant comments ever made the grade).

Comment

Working...
                              X