Telephone Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephone Call

Did anyone else get this call today......this is brand Q, we noticed you haven't placed an order yet.

Telephone Call

So, why HAVEN'T you placed an order yet?

Comment

Don't take it

too hard, Spada. Everybody's Rodney Dangerfield to jainen (even EA's "don't get no respect").

By the way, jainen, is that you that keeps callin' me and not sayin' anything? If yes, quit it! ****yanks, anyway!

Comment

Telephone Call

The post was meant as a humorus read between the lines comment, but whatever. I did place and order, just not with them.

Comment

Black Bart

>> and not sayin' anything <<

Now really, Black Bart, does that sound like me?

Comment

jainen Dangerfield

Originally posted by jainen
            >> and not sayin' anything <<

Now really, Black Bart, does that sound like me?
            Well....now that you mention it, no, it doesn't. But still, in view of your notorious fondness of pointless debate (reminiscent of A. Beaujolais) and deft barbs (your above reply to J. Spada), you have to admit that you were a likely "usual suspect." I maintain that I was justified in my suspicions because you exhibit all the symptoms of a Yankee; that is (as my grandmother declared long ago), they are generally (1) rude & ill-mannered (2) know lots of stuff (3) don't love the Lord (4) live far off.

Anyway, the mystery's solved--a business client told me today that he, too, gets them frequently. Asking around, he's learned that it's the latest technique among the ever-more-crafty telemarketers. What they're doing is programming their computers to call phone numbers and see if they get: an answer, no answer, or an answering machine. No matter what response, the computer records it and hangs up after you tire of saying "hello, hello" (okay to mystify you--not okay to hurt your feelings and put you in a non-buying mood). All the "no answers" and "voice-mails" are deleted. "Live answer" numbers are then passed on to salespeople, who, having wasted your time, will call as their time permits. In this manner, valuable sales-pitch time isn't wasted on marks who aren't home.

P.S. to John: It might be helpful if you would be so kind as to place an asterik next to all your "humorous-between-the-lines-comments" addressed to jainen to denote that they are, in fact, meant to be amusing. It's not that he's a bad sort or anything, but rather, perhaps, just a tad slow on the uptake.

P.S. to jay: Just kidding--actually that was a pretty catchy comeback.

Comment

telephone calls

The remarks don't bother me. I have several times baited people on different sites just to get a reaction. I judge things on size. Half time the big mouth people posting do about 39 returns a year on the kitchen table.

Comment

not a Yankee

I'm really not a Yankee, that being an East Coast thing. Out west here it's more like Gringo. Most of your description fits, though--ill-mannered, full of stuff, and far out. On the matter of the Lord, I'm not one of these cradle-Christians but was washed clean at the age of 48.

Comment

Yup, that's

Originally posted by JohnSpadaEA
                  big mouth people posting do about 39 returns a year on the kitchen table.
                  him, alright. Description fits him right to a T (unless, gulp, you were talkin' about me).

Comment

Vinegar Jay,

Originally posted by jainen

Most of your description fits

was washed clean at the age of 48.
                    Say jai, how old are you now and when's the last time you took a bath?

Comment

Telephone

not talking about anyone in particular.....its all in fun

Comment

my seventh decade

I'm in my seventh decade now (the 40's, the 50's, the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and the zero's). Eighth, if you count being stuck in the 60's for a while. Anyway, I swear I have taken a bath in every one of 'em.

Comment

jainen

not talking about anyone in particular.....its all in fun
                          Now see? See what you've done? Did you see that reply? That's what polite (I'll explain it to you later) folks say when they don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Though not the same as a direct put-down, it may mean that he feels the same way about both of us. And who can blame him, the way you're always carryin' on and upsettin' the boardfolk with all that fervid folderol & disruptive behavior? And furthermore--oh, never mind--I'll handle it! Ahem! Uh, John--may I ask your forgiveness for our brethren, jainen; as he knows not what he does!

There! Now try to stay out of trouble!

On to new ground: Ah'm gonna try to be polite (gosh, that word just keeps poppin' up in civilized society), as it's my duty and social obliglation to an elder (I'm only in my sixth decade). Both me and my mustache were also "stuck," although in the 70's (I shaved it off in the middle nineties).

Anyway, glad to hear that you've bathed before. If you ever get to be an EA like John, you won't have "no stinkin' badge." I had the same problem with the dental hygienist the other day. Although I brush twice a day (a notarized affadavit to that effect is available upon request), I detest flossing and my dental bill resembles Russia's finances. The DH (a dedicated floss-freak) wanted to know if I was a "frequent-flosser." It went like this:

DH: "How often have you flossed?"
                          BB: "Twice."
                          DH: "A day? Very good!"
                          BB: "No."
                          DH: (mildly disconcerted) "A week?"
                          BB: "No."
                          DH: (flustered) "A month?"
                          BB: Silence.
                          DH: (astounded) "Surely you don't mean--....a year?"
                          DH: (aghast) "How long have you been coming here?"
                          BB: "1994."
                          DH: (stunned--faltering) "And.....in that time......twice?"
                          DH: Leaves room in tears; doesn't return. Stranded in chair 'til dentist unhooks gown collar.

Well, I know, as my old English teacher would say, that this "lacks a well-rounded finish," but I've got to go back to bed to get up at nine. Oh, about that word "polite;" how about just lookin' it up? I'm too tired to go into it now.

P.S. One more social faux pas and I'm puttin' your name on the automatically renewin' (just a "convenience") subscription list of my high-rollin', financial wizard cousin, "Smart" Twin Halfacre, whose weekly $5.00 newsletter, "Reminisces of a Stock Operator," has helped millions to (as Wilford Brimley would say) "lead a better life" (that's a sales pitch--your phone will soon ring and nobody will say anything).

Yours truly, BB

Comment

telephone call

Your writing reminds me of a guy named Bob Mitchell. He is a fellow Drake user from South Carolina, who was a big time contributor to the Klienrock list serve. Old Bob always played the I'm just a country boy routine, not a CPA, not an EA, just Old Bob.

You, like Old Bob have excellant writing skills, which I applaud you for. He was also a successful businessman with his small town practice of 1500 returns a year. He was very good at telling us how his practice of $50 and $60 returns was superior to all to all them overcharging CPA's and EA's.

Now, in many ways I think Old Bob had a point. He worked during tax season and make enough money to have a nice pick up truck and enjoy life. I will admit that he helped me with my marketing program and I use his training manaul for my new employees.

Comment

You, like Old Bob have excellant writing skills, which I applaud you for.
                              We are all fortunate to have BB around to entertain us. Taxes are boring. We need humor to keep ourselves from going insane.

Comment

Working...
                              X