Holiday Cheer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Cheer

The local Jackson-Hewitt office down the street put up a sign this morning advertising the following: "Get up to $575--Holiday Express Loan Program." This is the second year for it and they're doing a land-office business. Guess it's the fact that this a "pore-folks" area.

Funny thing--I would expect all the cars there to be smoke-belching junkers which usually run in the same manner that their household finances do, but they're almost all snappy, late model SUV's and pickups. Must be due to all those "pre-approved" credit card letters swamping us nowadays.

I wonder how much they have to pay back if they get the full $575?

"pore-folks" area

Long live EIC.>>>>barf,barf
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Loans

Well I haven't seen a Jackson Hewitt Loan, but I do have a copy of an H&R Block one somewhere here in the office from a couple of years ago.

By the time they got done, a credit card at the worst APR was about 25%, and I want to say the H&R BLock was about 180%. But the client had their $$$ very fast so they could spend it and keep our economy rolling along! Wonder how all are going to "fair" since the bankruptcy laws changed!

Sandy

Comment

eic in e-i-e-i-o land

Originally posted by RLymanC
        Long live EIC.>>>>barf,barf
        Aw, don't be so smug. I gripe about it too (since I'm not getting any of it), but If you were an average Joe/Jane who lived in an area where minimum wage is fairly common, you'd be looking forward to it too. When you pick the onion-skin layers of mild affluence off any of us (dispense with the SUV, good cologne, and table manners), none of us are above the need for money and that's a fact.

Comment

Bankruptcy

Originally posted by S T

Wonder how all are going to "fair" since the bankruptcy laws changed!

Sandy
          There was a virtual tsunami of cases filed here just before the new statute went into effect (October 17th, wasn't it?).

Under the old law it was easy to file Chapter 7 which wiped out all debt, period. Not so under the new law which is pushing Chapter 13 (temporarily holds off the creditors--then must start to repay after 36 months, I think).

Probably the only difference now will be that everybody will still file (albeit 13) and just not ever start paying on it. Oh well, at least it will give the bill-collectors something to do (even paying the hangman helps the economy).

Comment

Agree

At least Bart has table manners, I lick my plate, if I like the food very much.

Anyway, yes, EIC is a problem or better to say, how people don't know and don't learn to deal with money or to deal with anything for that matter. I wished along with EIC (which has helped me a lot in my beginnings when my son was still with me) people would receive some real help in dealing with life.

There are not many places and people who are able to teach that.

Comment

Cheers, Holiday or not, this is my 100th posting!

Comment

Lion, Congrats.

and may you be around for another 100.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, Bird Legs and everyone. I'll probably be around to ask 90 more questions and give 10 more answers, or maybe just opinions.

Comment

Working...
                  X