• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceased taxpayer

Can you electronically file for a decedent's:

1040?

1041?

E File

Yes Bart you should be able to efile the decedents form 1040 return as well as the 1041 return.

To efile the 1041 return you might have to update your efile application with IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3452.pdf link to the 2005 efile questions and answers.

Sandy

Comment

during 2004

I believe you can't e-file unless the date of death is during 2004.

Comment

Pub 1346

In the Tax Highlights section of Pub 1346, Part 1, Page X, there is a section "Decedents" and a error reject code correction. So it appears as if we can efile a deceden'ts 2005 return.

I haven't been able to "google" Pub 1345 for the 2005 tax returns.

Sandy

Comment

Good news!

Good news! Now we don't have to tell them, "Gee, it's too bad he didn't die sooner.!"

Comment

Thanx

to both of you.

Comment

Efile for deceased taxpayer

I remember looking this up last year, but that doesn't mean I remember the answer. And, it could've changed, anyway. I think that we can efile for a taxpayer who died during the year we are filing. But, we cannot efile for a taxpayer who died in the year following the year of the return. That, of course, is for his 1040. The 1041 is for his estate, so he is not alive for that filing no matter which year it is!

Comment

EFile for deceased taxpayer

Use F8453 and have the surviving spouse also sign F1310...you can efile the current tax year and send the signed forms to the IRS. Be sure the F1310 is included with the efile even though it is not signed.

If you efile by PIN and F8879 the signed forms stay in your client file. taxea
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X