Someone is trying to apply for Soc. Sec. disability. They have not filed returns since 1996.

If they file that far back now will the IRS accept them? Or do they only let you file 6 years back? (someone said unless the returns were requested, the IRS only goes 6 years back???)

Also, I am assuming ( don't ever assume) that the SE would get credited for their disability.

Anyone have any experience with this? How long it takes to circulate through to the SSA?