Wrong address on W-2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong address on W-2's

Client moved to a new location in 2006 but when they prepared their W-2's the old address was left on the W-2's. I suggested they change the address on the W-3 before submitting to IRS.

Should they reissue corrected W-2's with the address change or would it be okay to leave employees W-2's as is and just change what is sent to IRS? Any suggestions?

Newbee...

.... I don't believe it matters, that it is the wrong address.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

W-2s

Newbie,

Does your software allow you to show the correct address on the 1040, but input the address that's on the W-2? Mine does and that's how I deal with this situation.

Sometimes a client will present me with 2-3 different addresses on W-2s, so that gets a bit tiresome to input, but never had a problem in the past when one got by me.

Dennis

Comment

Dennis,
        It's not the recipient of the W-2's address, it's the employer's address that is incorrect. A few dozen employees were sent the W-2's with the former address and I thought as long as the Fed ID number is correct it should be okay? Or will the incorrect employer address cause problems with efiling?

If not the employer will need to reissue W-2's with the only correction being the Employer address.

Comment

Employer Address

I think the EIN is the only thing you have to worry about being correct. In another year thatproblem will be taken care of. Like Dennis I assume you were talking about the recepients address.

Comment

W-2s

Newbie,

Sorry about my misunderstanding. You clearly said the employer. I answered your post without enough coffee this morning! I know better.

I don't know the correct answer to this, but I would imagine it would not matter as long as the name and EIN were correct, like Chief mentioned.

Dennis

Comment

That is correct

Originally posted by Chief View Post
              I think the EIN is the only thing you have to worry about being correct. In another year thatproblem will be taken care of. Like Dennis I assume you were talking about the recepients address.
              EIN is the main thing.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Newbee...

... the IRS probably only has the old address anyway. So don't worry about it. If there is a w-2 matching, it will match.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input!

Comment

Virgin Islands Wrong Employer Address on W2

HELP! Could I get some clarification on the issue of a wrong Employer address on the W2? Would that same resolution still apply if the wrong address was a Virgin Islands address? Or will that be a different case and changing the information to the correct one as given by the Employer via an email not be acceptable? Or the address in itself doesn't matter whether it is domestic or foreign?

Comment

E-file it and see what happens

One way to find out is to e-file it and see if it is rejected. If not, you're home free. If it is rejected, then try it with the changed address. If you get another rejection, then contact the IRS problem resolution people.

Comment

About the only

Originally posted by henrif View Post
                        HELP! Could I get some clarification on the issue of a wrong Employer address on the W2? Would that same resolution still apply if the wrong address was a Virgin Islands address? Or will that be a different case and changing the information to the correct one as given by the Employer via an email not be acceptable? Or the address in itself doesn't matter whether it is domestic or foreign?
                        thing that is checked is the Zip Code.

If you file electronically, and the Zip Code does not match up as a valid Zip Code for the city listed, it will reject. Otherwise it will go through.

And, of course, save that email from the employer.
                        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Address bouncing

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
                          thing that is checked is the Zip Code.

If you file electronically, and the Zip Code does not match up as a valid Zip Code for the city listed, it will reject. Otherwise it will go through.
                          I'm not quite sure that dog will hunt.....are you talking about the ZIP code matching an address in your software data base, or the IRS will reject it upon processing? And, of course, for most cities there is a difference between a "valid" ZIP code versus the "correct" ZIP code for the business.

A distant client received a W2 from a local concern (community college) for some part-time teaching there. The employer address on the W2 was correct, as was the employee address on the W2.

Sometime between when the W2 was issued and the early October filing of the tax return, the EIN of the employer changed. (IRS rep confirmed a change had occurred, but would not provide the "correct" number to me.)

The efiled tax return bounced like a rubber ball, and a paper return of some complexity had to be printed/sent to client/signed/mailed to IRS and state. When the school was contacted, they quickly said something like "Oh, you must be trying to efile. Try paper instead." A corrected W2 was not, nor would be, issued. Apparently had the tax return been efiled in March/April all would have gone fine.

As for employee address on W2s, I always input the information as shown on the W2. (I thought that was a preparer requirement??) I've been told to "match the document" (employer and employee) as that is how I essentially submit the (electronic) W2 "document" to the IRS.

FE

Comment

Dog hunts just fine, thank you

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            I'm not quite sure that dog will hunt.....are you talking about the ZIP code matching an address in your software data base, or the IRS will reject it upon processing? And, of course, for most cities there is a difference between a "valid" ZIP code versus the "correct" ZIP code for the business.

A distant client received a W2 from a local concern (community college) for some part-time teaching there. The employer address on the W2 was correct, as was the employee address on the W2.

Sometime between when the W2 was issued and the early October filing of the tax return, the EIN of the employer changed. (IRS rep confirmed a change had occurred, but would not provide the "correct" number to me.)

The efiled tax return bounced like a rubber ball, and a paper return of some complexity had to be printed/sent to client/signed/mailed to IRS and state. When the school was contacted, they quickly said something like "Oh, you must be trying to efile. Try paper instead." A corrected W2 was not, nor would be, issued. Apparently had the tax return been efiled in March/April all would have gone fine.

As for employee address on W2s, I always input the information as shown on the W2. (I thought that was a preparer requirement??) I've been told to "match the document" (employer and employee) as that is how I essentially submit the (electronic) W2 "document" to the IRS.

FE
                            Usually if an incorrect Zip Code is entered for a city state combination ERC 0123 SEQ 0113 and/or SEQ 0115 will generate. Normally what happens is an individual enters a proper Zip Code for their locale, BUT an INCORRECT State Abbreviation (e.g., AL instead of AK for Alaska).

And, as I am sure you are aware, if an EIN is less than one year old, you should expect an error when trying to efile. But that is a separate issue, the OP asked about a possible address error.
                            Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

VI Adress on W2 Follow-up

Thank you everyone for your contribution to clarifying this issue.

After reading everything in regards to the information on W2s, I have found just one brief statement regarding the EMPLOYER information in the W2 Instructions:

"Be sure that the payer’s name and employer identification number (EIN) on Forms W-2 and W-3 are the same as those used on the Form 941, Employer’s QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return; Form 943, Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees; Form 944; Form CT-1, Employer’s Annual Railroad Retirement Tax Return; or Schedule H (Form 1040) filed by or for the payer."

And I also received verification from The Tax Institute as follows:

"The employer's address in box c of a taxpayer's W-2 should be same as the address on the employer's form 941, 943, 944, CT-1, or 1040 Schedule H. If an employer fails to provide correct tax statements to its employees and cannot show reasonable cause, the employer may be subject to a penalty. The amount of the penalty is based on when the employer furnishes the correct statement. For this reason, it is best for an employer to issue corrected W-2s as soon as it discovers an error.

On the other hand, inconsequential errors are not considered a failure to include correct information. An inconsequential error cannot reasonably be expected to prevent or hinder the payee from timely receiving correct information and reporting it on his or her income tax return or from otherwise putting the statement to its intended use. An incorrect employer address is not mentioned as one of the items that are considered "never inconsequential."

And I did verify the address with the employer, and lo and behold the VI address is the same address as listed on their Form 941.

Which simply means that since it matches their Form 941, the W2 will not qualify for e-file and must be mailed in. However, if the address on the W2 didn't match the employer's Form 941, then the address could be changed with verification from the employer (ie. email, letter, etc.).

Keeping this info for future reference for sure...

Comment

Working...
                              X