Self Employed Health Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Employed Health Insurance?

I have a client that is self employed. She pays for her insurance through her husbands employer (she is not covered under his plan). Can this be taken as a self employed health insurance deduction?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Is it a seperate policy from the husband or

is the company paying for the husband and the wife is paying her portion of family coverage?

Comment

Self-employed health insuranc

I would say no, as this is a subsidized plan. See the IRS instructions. If you qualify to be covered by a subsidized plan, it doesn't quality as self-employed health insurance.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
        I would say no, as this is a subsidized plan. See the IRS instructions. If you qualify to be covered by a subsidized plan, it doesn't quality as self-employed health insurance.

The Husband's employer only pays for the employee's insurance (i.e. Husband's). If the employee wants to add his spouse or family, they are responsible for paying the difference.

Any thoughts?

Comment

This subject came up on another board and the general consensus was also, no it is still considered a subsidized plan. This to me just does not seem fair if only the husband is subsidized by the Employer, but all is not fair in the real world.

Comment

It is a subsidized plan because it is a group plan. You can't buy insurance on your own as cheep as you can get it through a group company plan, even if the employer makes you pay 100% of the cost. That is what is meant by "subsidized" plan. And you should never use the word "fair" when trying to figure out tax law.

Comment

Working...
            X