Substantiation Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substantiation Requirements

I said that I would not help this client. He is the one that went to an audit without me and carried copies of many years’ returns to hand over to her. More on this client is under the topic of “Audit Without Representation”.

He has motel receipts for Sch C. He does not have the mileage logs, after all, big surprise! The auditor did not allow him to recreate his mileage based on the locations listed on his motel receipts. When I asked the client if he could come close to the original mileage claimed by using his motel locations he assured me that he could. I doubt that too. But I do feel sure that it would be more miles than the auditor allowed him.
    Of course, his dog or his ex-girlfriend ate the mileage logs.

This is something I printed more than a year ago that was posted by Brad on the other board. Do you feel this could be used to get the auditor to allow the recreation of the logs based on his motel receipts? Also, he did not claim any meals on the original return because he did not keep up with them. However, he probably has some proof of meals on his credit card statements.

In the original post Brad suggested asking the auditor if she feels the TP is a liar, if she says no then have the client write on a piece of paper that the credit card statements and in this case, motel receipts represent legitimate business expenses. Have the client sign the statement and hand it to the auditor. Then tell her that she can accept your client’s written statement as meeting the substantiation requirements under Regulation section 1.274-5A(c) (3) which says:

§ 1.274-5A Substantiation requirements.

(3) Substantiation by other sufficient evidence. If a taxpayer fails to establish to the satisfaction of the district director that he has substantially complied with the “adequate records” requirements of subparagraph (2) of this paragraph with respect to an element of an expenditure, then, except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the taxpayer must establish such element:
    (i) By his own statement, whether written or oral, containing specific information in detail as to such element; and
    (ii) By other corroborative evidence sufficient to establish such element.
    If such element is the description of a gift, or the cost, time, place, or date of an expenditure, the corroborative evidence shall be direct evidence, such as a statement in writing or the oral testimony of persons entertained or other witness setting forth detailed information about such element, or the documentary evidence described in subparagraph (2) of this paragraph. If such element is either the business relationship to the taxpayer of persons entertained or the business purpose of an expenditure, the corroborative evidence may be circumstantial evidence.

In this same thread another poster suggested presenting the regulation and then saying to the auditor. "Of course, our citation must be considered in the context of the citation you will offer in support of your position that receipts are not adequate substantiation. Present your position on substatiation and we will argue the merits."

Substantiation

I think what you have saved from one of the prior posts on the other board is excellent.

The problem I see is the laziness of your client and him representing himself at audit, but then I would suspect you are also not being compensated enough for trying to come to his rescue.

This client had the motel receipts with him when he went for the audit. He told the auditor that there was no way he could have driven to all those states on the mileage she was allowing him. So I guess in one way he has already suggested that the receipts be allow to recalculate the mileage. I was hoping that there was something written somewhere indicating to her that she should allow this.
    It sounds like the taxpayer just took in the motel receipts and expected the auditor to accept the mileage reported on the return as gospel. Did the taxpayer bother to calculate the mileage based on his travel and the motel receipts and present it in some orderly fashion? He should have recreated dates of travel and mileage and totaled them up. The auditor is not going to take the time to recreate the taxpayer's travel route and that is probably why the mileage was reduced so significantly.

Maybe if the taxpayer will take the time to present some mileage documentation in conjunction with the motel receipts along with a reminder about the Substantiation Requirements you posted, the auditor will revise the mileage allowable, and possibly add in meals. Can't your client use the Per Diem, (QF 9-5, #1 Meals and incidental expenses)?

Sandy

Comment

Audit Substantiation

I suspect that the taxpayer getting audited is one that doesn't want to pay you for representing him during the audit. Always trying to save a buck!

I wouldn't help him. At least not until I got an upfront payment equal to about 10 hours of work.

I had one client that never paid his tax return fee. A couple of years later he was audited. He wanted the copies of my work papers for the audit since he pitched his bank statements. Fool. He was going to pay me $20 on his account and then settle up after the audit. I said no. He wasn't going to get anything until he paid his account in full.

He didn't pay me and went to another accountant to represent him during the audit. He had to pay that accountant upfront. Never did collect that bill.

It toughened my stand on collecting fees.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

You saw the movie!

Sandy, your version of what happened when he went for the audit sounds like you saw the movie. His account is very similar to what you described only he leaves out the part where he is at fault for not having things in order. As you stated, I would not be able to be compensated enough to take this on myself.

Yes, he should be able to take the per diem for meals. She changed 2000 (it was filed late because of his girlfriend), 2003 and 2004.

He is going to have to be willing to help himself on this one. I am going to contact him and let him know to start going through the receipts for the motels to calculate the mileage and give him instructions on how to calculate the per diem. If he does this, he may be able to reduce the amount he owes. If he does not, he will owe the amount the auditor has calculated.

I am only going to write a statement of disagreement for him, that he will sign and send in. I will explain to him what it means. I don't even plan to get a POA for those years. He is going to do this or it won't get done.

I do appreciate your input, more than you know. This year has been a crazy one for me. There are years that go smoothly and years that do not. I feel embarrassed about having all these questions to post. Maybe, I will gain something from all of these situations that will be helpful to someone else in the future.

Comment

Questions and Postings

dmj4, don't be embarrassed about the situations and questions that arise. We all learn from what is posted and I believe that is what this forum is for.

As for 2004 tax filings I hope 2005 is not a repeat.

Keep us posted on the outcome of this audit.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
          X