X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my second monitor

>>the latest version of DOS<<

I hope you aren't being fashe--fassi--feshey--phesseshus--

I hope you aren't joking. I use DOS all the time. I have a little off-season job copying hundreds of floppy disks. If I had to use Windows D&D it's carpal tunnel for sure. I wrote this little batch file (copy a:\*.*) that doesn't slow me down while I play EverQuest on my second monitor.

Comment

Cpa

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk
      CPA is also used in other businesses: it stands for CLEANING, PRESSING AND ALTERATIONS.
      I thought it meant Certified Pain in the______

Comment

Dos

Originally posted by jainen

I hope you aren't joking. I use DOS all the time. I have a little off-season job copying hundreds of floppy disks. If I had to use Windows D&D it's carpal tunnel for sure. I wrote this little batch file (copy a:\*.*) that doesn't slow me down while I play EverQuest on my second monitor.
        Well, I'm not joking altogether. I've got a '92 model IBM that runs on DOS and I use an old, before-the-turn-of-the-century (20th, not 19th) BPI brand bookkeeping program on it. That program wasn't ready for the new millenium (whatchacallit?--R2D2--PDQ--Y2K--X15) and wouldn't roll over to 2000 dates, so now I have to post my checks as 1996 instead of 2006 and that's a bit unhandy, to say nothing of unprofessional. Still, it works, it's cheap (no updates to buy), and I don't care if anybody likes it or not. I bought a Quickbooks-05' program, but, so far, inertia has kept me using white-out on those dates (a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do).

Who have you got that wants floppy disks copied? I thought I was the only one that was still doing that -- much less hiring out for the job.

I don't know what Windows D&D is, so I guess my wrist will be okay.

Shouldn't that file have a "forward" slash after the colon?

I never heard of Everquest (is it a mountain?)

I regret to inform you that I don't have a second monitor.

Is it cold in California now?

Comment

all cloudy today

>>Who have you got that wants floppy disks copied?<<
          They get documents from a bunch of different independent contractors, and they have to archive them.

>>what Windows D&D is<<
          I was hoping to tease out a Dungeons & Dragon joke, but it's drag & drop -- mouses, not dragons.

>>Shouldn't that file have a "forward" slash after the colon?<<
          Hah -- caught you! You're thinkin' HTML, not DOS!

>>Everquest<<
          Specifically, it's a huge imaginary dungeons & dragons kind of world. Millions of people have been playing against each other since before the turn of the century. I'm using EverQuest metaphorically for an even larger universe of computer gaming. Personally, I've never logged on. I wouldn't even have this one monitor if my kid hadn't set it up for me.

>>Is it cold in California now?<<
          Heck, yeah. It plummeted to 52 last night, and it's all cloudy today.

Last edited by jainen; 11-26-2006, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen

>>Is it cold in California now?<<
            Heck, yeah. It plummeted to 52 last night, and it's all cloudy today.

52 is a heat stroke for us in Minnesota. We're dying up here with heat exhaustion. 47 right now. Looking for 57 on Tuesday.

We usually look forward to snow this time of year. Must be that global warming thing I guess.

Comment

Cold

I believe Jainen lives in the northern part of CA, but I'm in the southern part. Last night, it was supposed to get down to the high 30's, low 40's. It will be 44 tonight. Right now, breeze is cold, so I can see 44!

I do like it warm.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
              X