Desk side manners, IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw, let's just forget the whole thing.

Listen, what do you think of the poll results? I voted for "God's punishment" as a joke, but it looks like that answer's got 25% of the vote (unless everybody else is kidding around too).

Comment

Hillarous

Client: I still wanna claim Velma's kid. Here's the divorce papers that say I can.
      BB: Sorry, Judge Judy's full of beans and those papers don't amount to a hill of 'em. It's all in Kenfield v. United States, 783 F.2d 966 [57 AFTR 2d 86-792] (10th Cir. 1986). You know about that, I guess?
      Client:
      Client: Listen; I need money.
      BB: Oh! Well, that's different. Just go on over to JH's place -- they'll do it for you.
      Client: I know -- I did it last year when you turned me down. They said it was "no problem."
      BB: Yeah, that American ingenuity, entrepreneurship, and competition -- it's great, ain't it? So long and good luck.[/QUOTE]

Bart, the above exchange is hilarious. Since you're from Arkansas, maybe the word is "Hillarous" as we all may find out in a couple years.

But this imaginery conversation is all too true. In my case, the client ends up going to the proverbial "guy across town." In your example, they go to J-H or HRB. In both cases, the very existence of incompetent preparers cause us to lose business. I have opposed the proposed legislation which decrees that all preparers have at least their EA or CPA, but the continued existence of these jackleg tax preparers who benefit from their own ignorance is sure tempting me to change my mind.

If the proposed legislation is ever approved, this will take away the guy from across town. But the bad preparers will still be able to work under the umbrella of JH and HRB.

One way the IRS could help out its due diligence preparers is to perform more audits. People were more hesitant 30 years ago when the IRS was auditing 2-3% of all returns. Their rate nowadays is around 0.5% with mostly a stratified selection process.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletoof
        Client: I still wanna claim Velma's kid. Here's the divorce papers that say I can.
        Doncha love it. I had divorce papers once that said the noncustodial parent was entitled to claim head of household. The divorce was not final. Can you imagine the difference between filing head of household or MFS? Big difference. Who do you think the client believed, me who said he owed a bunch of money, or his lawyer and the judge who said he got a big refund?

Comment

the tax code is heaven-sent

If you and even one of the other three were joking, that choice only earned about 1/9 of the vote.. And it wouldn't surprise me if that percentage were true.

I voted for sympathy. I don't think the tax code is heaven-sent.

Comment

(Tax) Code of the West

Originally posted by jainen
            >>

I never apologize for the tax laws. They are what they are and they ain't what they ain't.
            "Never apologize, mister! It's a sign of weakness." -- John Wayne -- She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Comment

Working...
            X