Scanning W-2's for data entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning W-2's for data entry

Lacerte is offering as something new, a Fijitsu(sp) scanner where we can scan W-2's and 1099-R's for data entry. A very big time saver for someone who does thier own data-entry. Does anyone have experience with this or have any comments on it.

Cs

In order to SCAN in W-2 or 1099s the items need to have a Bar Code on them and then a hand held scanner scans the documents and imports it into your tax program. CS also does K-1s.

But very few programs will print Bar Coded W-2 or 1099s this coming year. This bar coding is not required by IRS so it is an industry issue.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W
      In order to SCAN in W-2 or 1099s the items need to have a Bar Code on them and then a hand held scanner scans the documents and imports it into your tax program. CS also does K-1s.

But very few programs will print Bar Coded W-2 or 1099s this coming year. This bar coding is not required by IRS so it is an industry issue.

I may have misunderstood but from what I read Lacerte will not work this way. Some how the scanning software sees what box the data is in and puts the correct info into the correct Lacerte entry spot. I will be having an online seminar about this feature that Lacerte provides comming up. So hopefully they will explain the process better.

As to John's question, I think this will become a better program as the years go on. Most of my clients have less than 3 w-2's but I do have some that have more and for them it would be a great item. Also because I am moving to a more paperless office over the next year or so I think this will help more . I am personally excited about this feature and hope it can do what it says it can.

Comment

What I understood from Lacerte was you needed to buy additional software from them along with a scanner in order to scan W2s, 1099s into tax software.

Comment

Additional Software

My understanding is the Lacerte tax software includes the scan feature, if you pay the extra $ 450. So it's automatically linked to within Lacerte. It is scheduled to be included in CD release 3. And yes it scans the forms themself, not a bar code (which is nice). The scanned form appears on your screen for review and edit; then you click "Import" to send it into the tax software. I'am going to try it out.

Comment

Not that it helps....

... but Creative Solution's Ultra Tax has the software built in at no extra cost but I would need to purchase a hand held scanner to read the bar codes( $200- 300). CS's accounting/payroll program prints 1099, W-2 and K-1's with barcodes. When and if other programs print the bar codes then I will think about getting a hand held scanner.

I like Lacert's way since many p/r programs may not print bar codes. I just have to wait to see what the industry does this year and/or next year.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Personally, I am now boycotting Intuit (lacerte). Why? They are nickle and diming us accoutnants to death.. They are the greediest *&%$'s in town. I loved it so much better before intuit acquired them.

Comment

W2 scan software

This software is also offered by Proseries(Intuit) for $350.00.

Comment

Working...
                X