SE Health Insurance Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SE Health Insurance Deduction

Can a SE individual deduct as se health insurance premiums insurance withheld by
    the FORMER employer? IRC 162-( L) indicates that if the taxpayer or his spouse is
    eligible for subsidized health insurance from the EMPLOYER, the deduction is NOT
    allowed. After one retires and the health insurance premiums are deducted for a
    subsidized plan from that persons pension, could it qualify for the SE deduction assuming
    the person owned and operated a proprietorship? The law says EMPLOYER not former
    employer. Comments? Thanks!
    Last edited by dyne; 11-19-2006, 04:33 AM.

Think So

Pesonally, I would do it.

Comment

This came up last year

As a retired federal employee who has owned a tax business for several years, I asked for opinions on this last year. Even though I originally tried to rationalize that it would be OK for me to take the deductions it became clear from the arguments presented by others on this board that my thoughts were only wishful thinking. After doing some research and hearing the rational given by folks with lots of experience in the tax field I would NOT take that deduction.

Comment

Self-employed health insurance

Agree with Mike. No deduction.

What about corporate diector who is paid on a 1099MISC for his management services of a public utility? Thr corporation also pays for his and his wife's health insurance through the companies group insurance and issues another 1099MISC for this amount. He has to pick that up as income. Does that qualify as self-employed health insurance?
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
        X