Working for the IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    IRS usually reviews the earlier tax returns filed by job applicants. Please make sure that your returns were prepared and filed properly.
    We talked about this informally between 'sessions.' The agents mentioned that the returns of agents are looked at especially close; agents are held to a higher standard than others. And this woman said that if there is a problem your boss finds out and you are approached. She said that she's real careful on her own taxes because she doesn't want her name floating around the office of senior Revenue Agents.

It might be wise for me to not be real aggressive when preparing my own taxes next year.
    Last edited by Skate1968; 11-21-2006, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Audits of IRS personnel

I had a buddy who worked at the Memphis IRS service center and told me they audited his return when he first went to work. I think he said they looked at more than one year.

Interesting note: He said he was in an office full of employees (don't remember if it was in training or later) when IRS CID agents came in, arrested a man for theft, handcuffed and took him away. The group speculated it had been "staged" to make an impression about the necessity of honesty on the job, but that, real or not, it definitely had that effect.

Comment

Speaking of the Memphis Office

Have any of you had problems in dealing with the personnel there?

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman
          What was the process like for applying with the IRS. How long did it take? Let us know how the test went.
          Overall it seemed to go allright. The test consisted of five 'simulations,' what would be referred to as 'other objective format' questions by CPA exam prep teachers. Journal entries, the 'work sheet,' and audit questions. The test was fairly easy-- some of it downright simple. It did not contain any Cost or what I'd call 'Advanced.'

Comment

When I was undergoing army basic training in 1957 one day the military police
            appeared and handcuffed and led away a sargeant from our barracks. It was rumored that
            he borrowed a car from another sargeant and forgot to ask first. I have wondered if this
            was staged to instill fear in the men. We never saw that sargeant again.

One test which I remember being given to new IRS agent trainees was a problem where
            the alternative minimum tax applied and they were expected to calculate this without
            a form 6251 or form 6251 instructions being available.
            Last edited by dyne; 11-22-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks

for the update. Glad to hear you did fine

Comment

Memphis IRS Office

Bird Legs' question reminds me of the TV commercial where the lady asks her husband if her clothing makes her look fat?

Comment

Still trying to get them to

Originally posted by Bird Legs
                  Have any of you had problems in dealing with the personnel there?
                  let go of that money (abatement/ NOL/ whatever)?

I've called them many times and responses vary widely -- they're all over the board. Once in a while (about one in five) you get somebody who's pretty good or even very, very sharp and the rest of the time you get those who know only what they consider to be the "essentials," (taxes are due April 15th and payday's Friday). Maybe you'll luck out and get Skate1968 next time.

Why don't you try the Taxpayer Advocate? I've had pretty good luck with them cutting through the red tape and getting something done with a case that's stuck in the bureaucratic mud.

Comment

Book 'im Dano

Originally posted by Black Bart
                    I He said he was in an office full of employees (don't remember if it was in training or later) when IRS CID agents came in, arrested a man for theft, handcuffed and took him away. .
                    They should have had a CID agent that looked like Jack Lord to yell "Book him Dano!"

Comment

Working...
                    X