Computer Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Maintenance

A lot of you probably already know this stuff, but...just in case you don't, these steps will make your PC run faster.

Thanks for ....

....the info. I've been doing these for many years but have lost the ability to do a scan disk because I didn't see it anymore. So I've been "force" shutting down my computers ( holding down the "off" button for as long as it takes to turn off the computer). Then I would restart the system and it would do an "error check". Thanks to your article I now know where "Scan Disk" went> Error Checking, and what it is now called.

I agree in total with the article as well as the frequency that these proceedures should be done. I always check all boxes in the "Disk Clean" utility. Internet connectivity is affected by Disk Clean, so if for no other reason, I use it regularly, even after every download.

My computers are left on 24/7, so every so often I reboot them just to "reset" all systems with a fresh start.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thanks Bart

It's a good write up and I will pass it along to people who are sure to benefit from it.

My question is whether it adresses the problem of third party software starting up automatically? I'm constantly using 'msconfig' startup menu to prevent quickbooks, Kodak, real player and countless other junk from starting automatically-- and from sucking up memory for no reason.

One microsoft tech agreed that that editing msconfig startup menu is often results in performance gains.

What i'm wondering is whether one of those steps in the article covers this? Meaning he might be doing the same thing as me but just using a different method.

Comment

Maybe email him.

Originally posted by Skate1968

What i'm wondering is whether one of those steps in the article covers this? Meaning he might be doing the same thing as me but just using a different method.
        I don't know but he strikes me as a helpful, pretty much down-to-earth writer and listed his email address -- I'd guess he might answer back or point you toward something relevant if you contact him. He teaches college computer classes and writes for newspapers in Augusta County, Virginia (per Google).

Comment

Computer maintenance

Bart,

Thank you for the article. I did a quick read of the article last night, but will read it in detail later this afternoon. I do all these steps about once a week. Some people think overkill, but I find when I perform the actions, everything runs more smoothly and any slow down I've been noticing will be gone. I have newer computers so the slow down I notice is due more to being on cable during primetime as opposed to DSL, which doesn't have this problem.

Bob, if you want to do an error check, go into My Computer, right click on the C drive then click properties. You will see it there. I did not read the section on error checking. Is this what you found in the article?

Anyway, thanks again, Bart.

Dennis

Comment

Dennis

Yes, it was in the article, but thanks anyway.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
            X