What to read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to read?

Since the elections are over and I don't care anymore I'm thinking about dumping Dish Network and talk radio. So I need to find something to occupy what brain I have remaining. The other thing is I could post more irritating posts on my favorite message board.

Post away, my man.

Have at it.

Comment

Always

V-

We always welcome your posts!! So post away!

S

Comment

I think it is going to get very interesting, because we have about two million tax cuts from the past 6 years or so that have expiration dates. The new political powers in Congress did not want them, and so it will be interesting to see what they do. If they let them expire, the public might see them as the ones causing their favorite tax cuts to go away.

A good example of this is going to be the Sales Tax deduction and the Tuition and Fees deduction. How long do you think it will be before the new majority gets blamed for those deductions going away? They expired a year ago, yet the average taxpayer won’t know that until next spring when they come to see us.

Comment

Sales tax deduction

The Democrats probably oppose allowing a sales tax deduction since it helps people who live in states that don't have an income tax--which the Democrats believe is every American's duty to pay both at state and federal level.
          If they really want high state income taxes they should consider disallowing a deduction for Ad Valorem taxes paid on your home. The states would then have to drop all taxes except income taxes and cigarette taxes.

Comment

The news this morning indicated that the Dems' immediate agenda includes extending the tuition deduction, the educator expense deduction, and the sales tax deduction, and they plan to introduce such legislation during the lame duck session.

Comment

Happy

Everyone could be "happy" if the new congress let all Republicans keep their tax cuts and raised the taxes of all Democrats. It could be one of those elective things on the tax return verifiable as registered voters with the local board of elections. What do you think?

Comment

changed their minds

>>What do you think?<<

I think a lot of people who used to support the Republicans have changed their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieea
                  The news this morning indicated that the Dems' immediate agenda includes extending the tuition deduction, the educator expense deduction, and the sales tax deduction, and they plan to introduce such legislation during the lame duck session.
                  It will be interesting to see if the losers have any intention of letting the dems take credit for extending those deductions. Even if they want the deduction, their political strategy will be to see to it nothing gets done. The party in power always gets blamed for Congress not getting things done, and there is a presidential election coming up in two years to fight for.

I doubt any legislation will get passed in the next two years.
                  Last edited by Bees Knees; 11-10-2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
                    Since the elections are over and I don't care anymore I'm thinking about dumping Dish Network and talk radio. So I need to find something to occupy what brain I have remaining. The other thing is I could post more irritating posts on my favorite message board.
                    I need help in resolving some tax issues.

Can I call you?

Comment

Well up here in Washington State one Maria Cantwell (D) was running and in one of her ads she said something to the effect that she brought WA State the Sales Tax Dedcution.
                      It was laughable at best since the deduction is gone ( for now).

Comment

Originally posted by TAX
                        I need help in resolving some tax issues.

Can I call you?
                        Send me a private message.

Comment

I really don't care about elections anymore. Probably won't vote anymore either.

Comment

I have two suggestions Veritas

John Stossels new book "Everything you know is wrong" and a somewhat more serious tome "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. After those two I bet the Dish Network will be looking pretty good. And you might rethink that voting thing.
                            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
                              >>What do you think?<<

I think a lot of people who used to support the Republicans have changed their minds.
                              I've voted Republican for years, and even was the Republican nominee for County Treasurer once, but this time I split my ticket.
                              Several things the Republicans seem to support angered me:
                              The useless war in Iraq
                              Opposition to stem cell research
                              Opposition to abortion
                              Catering to the Religious Right
                              Deficit spending (which will raise future taxes on our children)

Unfortunately the Democrats aren't much better.

Too many people voted straight democrat in Dallas and elected:

A District attorney with no experience over a highly regarded Republican

[edited]

A group of Democratic District Judges, some of which were qualified, but some of which have very poor qualifications.
                              Last edited by TMI Moderator; 11-10-2006, 06:34 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

Working...
                              X